VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have always coveted having a TDI and now I finally have one! It's a 2006 Jetta with 120k miles that I purchased from the original owner! It runs great! I am from central Texas but currently deployed to Afghanistan. I found it on Craigslist and after talking to the owner my wife went and got it.

I can't wait to get back and do some maintenance to it and maybe a few mods to improve the mileage.

Questions: Does anybody know if ULSD gets ride of the carbon in the intake problem!

Thanks! Love this site!

Dan

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
It should. The PD engines also get less EGR buildup just because they seem to regulate it better than the earlier cars.
Check out the 2005-2006 Jetta buying guide in the FAQ as well. There are many tips and other things to be aware of like catch up maintenance.
welcometomyturbodies

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Use a good full synthetic 5w-40 motor oil in that engine when you do your oil changes, and have your overhead cam inspected for wear, as well as the cam followers. Has the timing belt, tensioner, rollers, and water pump been replaced yet, should have been R &R'd at 90 to 100k miles. You need a receipt with a complete bill of materials to confirm that this was done, it's very, very important on TDI motors, the head has zero clearance between the piston and valves, a timing belt failure is an expensive repair.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I am still trying to figure out which brand of oil to get. The previous owner told me the timing belt was done 30K ago but I am thinking about doing it anyway for peace of mind. Didn't get any receipts with the car but he said he had VW change the oil every 3500-5000 miles. The original engine failed at 90k and was replaced with one that had 48k on it.

I can't wait to get to drive it!

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts