VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well ive been reading threads for hours and hours but cant seem to find the exact same problem anywhere. i just got a 98 jetta tdi with 265k miles... dont have any service records. i believe the t-belt has over 100k on it and plan to do it asap. but my bigger problem is lack of highend power... it does ok from 1500- 2200 rpm but after that it just slowly climbs. boost at low rpms but not much after 2200. air filter and air box seem ok... fuel filter somewhat new... no obvious broken vac lines... runs worse with maf unpluged. starts great and idles great. any thoughts????

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
No i never actually measured the boost. i have had it a few days now and have only had time to compare it to my friends identical car. my car pulls ok at low rpms and can hear the turbo spool but but no power over 2200. it doesnt cut out it just very slowly gains rpms. To me it just feels like intake, fuel or exhaust it restricted badly... so ive started with the easy stuff first. the only other wierd thing it does... when the engine is warm and i turn it off for at least a minute it will have a short high rev on start up. intake man is clean at the egr but thats as far as ive been. thanks for the imput so far. i keep forgetting about the codes i pulled... p1617...p0380 and p1248

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
For all you know the high rev could be a quantity adjuster problem. Check the injection pump timing. For all you know the timing belt position is out of whack. The timing belt should only go 60k miles....if it breaks it normally means a new head.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes i am aware that the t-belt is long overdue... new one is on its way. will i be able to check injection timing with any tool other than the VCDS? the good news (i think) is that im in limp-mode not realizing that my cheapo code reader wont erase all codes to come out of limp-mode. i recently barrowed a snap-on tool and pulled more codes... 1237 fuel cut off... 1050 glow plugs... 0553 mass air. after i erased the codes the car went great until i restarted it this am, now back to limp. im thinking... pull the fuel cut off and check o ring or replace. Check the glow plug harness and clean contacts. and of coarse do the t-belt asap. considering i have only put 50 miles on this car i wasnt gonna rush out and buy a $350 VCDS but if its the only tool that will do the job then i guees i must get one?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
yes i am aware that the t-belt is long overdue... new one is on its way. will i be able to check injection timing with any tool other than the VCDS? the good news (i think) is that im in limp-mode not realizing that my cheapo code reader wont erase all codes to come out of limp-mode. i recently barrowed a snap-on tool and pulled more codes... 1237 fuel cut off... 1050 glow plugs... 0553 mass air. after i erased the codes the car went great until i restarted it this am, now back to limp. im thinking... pull the fuel cut off and check o ring or replace. Check the glow plug harness and clean contacts. and of coarse do the t-belt asap. considering i have only put 50 miles on this car i wasnt gonna rush out and buy a $350 VCDS but if its the only tool that will do the job then i guees i must get one?
An ebay cable with VCDS's limited freeware will also check the codes and basic timing but it has virtually no resale...but it's very inexpensive. The genuine VCDS cable isn't 350 for the KII which will work on your 98. Its software license also follows the cable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts