VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my exhaust had developed a leak, it was the flexi part on the down pipe. I got under the car and measured up etc, got the part and all that so it was just picking a time to get round to fitting it.

Well today was that day or should I say this evening. Went down to my mates shop around 5pm to get on with it. First I removed the air box to get room to get to the exhaust to turbo bolts, fetched a 13mm socket, ratchet and extension bar and got to work.

First bolt, snap! Thought oops but carried on to the next thinking I'll deal with that with the down pipe off. Next one came out fine, went to the last one and snap! Two out three lol

Anyway continued and got the downpipe off. Then I had a go at removing the broken studs, there's a good 10mm of each sticking out. But no, they ain't for budging in a hurry and someone borrowed the blow torch so couldn't heat them.

I decided to remove the right axle to make more room to get in, of course I didn't have my puller with me and the shaft was stuck fast in the hub so ended up just taking the whole hub off with the axle lol. Didn't help though, studs still weren't shifting.

So next option was I borrowed my mates car and went up the road to my house and fetched another turbo, the GT1749VB off a PD160. I was intending to fit it at some point but this wasn't the time I had in mind.

Long story short I ended up plodding away till about 1am getting the car all sorted and back together.

What a night of fun haha.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Seatman... Hate to say it but exhaust is one task I gave up a long time ago. It seems only 1 bolt will seize or break and its always the hardest one to get to. :)

As I mature it's just not worth the aggravation.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would've been fine but silly me used regular crappy steel nuts last time and of course they rusted solid to the studs. The proper nuts are good, never have this problem with them. Not sure if they might have copper in them maybe? I know some exhaust related nuts are or contain copper which prevents them from seizing to the studs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You're reminding me why I HATE exhaust work (general plumbing, if truth be known).
Best thing that ever happened was when SS tubes and mufflers became standard. (took 'em long enough to figure that out)
frank

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SS is fine if all the bolts and clamps are too otherwise the SS and regular react and rust faster where they meet or should I say the regular steel rusts faster.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah. Nothing like a little galvanic corrosion to add to the fun. Gotta love those crazy electrons running through the dissimilar metals.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts