VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have just registered here and would firstly like to point out even though my issue is with my Mazda and this forum is for VW & Audi - I own a VW Golf MK5 and recentely purchased a 2010 VW Crafter CR35 Blue TDI! I hope this now means i can post? :p

To keep this very short because believe me i could go on for ages!

I was travelling on a motorway in my Mazda 6 2008 (58 plate) of which i bought from new and at the time I had only owned it for 10 months. Everything was ok for most of the journey (about 70 miles) coming to the end of it, without any warning what so ever my car revvs smacked on maximum and being in fourth gear the car picked up speed quickly from 60mph to 100mph+ and i was 700 yrds from the roundabout. Extremely scared my first thought was to rip the car mat out but that didnt work so i switched the engine off at 100mph and literatly had to swerve nearly hitting cars to pull into a lay-by/off road before i got to the roundabout!

Got it towed to Mazda, they looked at it the next day and said they couldnt find anything wrong, so i wasnt happy and i called lots of diesel engine experts of which all told me to get an oil sample from Mazda immediately.. Mazda refused to give me this for "health and safety reasons". To cut it short, i got the oil sample my self and got it tested, results were: 62% diesel to oil contamination.

Since i got this, Mazda have refused to accept anything! they told me the following:

1. I went into a petrol station and put diesel inside the engine oil
2. I must have ignored all warning lights (i have a picture of when i broke down of the dashboard and it shows nothing and still shows nothing)
3. We (mazda) have proof that you have never checked your oil levels (funny that, RAC checked it before i got it towed to you)
4. I have damaged inside the engine somehow to allow diesel to enter into the sump.

So after many many many letters back and forth, this has been going on for over 1 year now, i refuse to drive the car and am currently with a solicitor, we are waiting on Mazda's approval for an internal inspection (independant). My new car is sitting on my drive, i can't start the car as per Mazda's warning (DO NOT START ENGINE, DO NOT ALLOW TO WARM, DO NOT REVV ENGINE)

They are telling me a service would fix this! and that i am overdue a service (at the time of the run-away i was on 10 months and 11,981, which their service intervals state 1 year or 12,500 miles)

I am now STUCK! i have been on most forums and they all say there is a fault somewhere with Mazda's design, so i now need your opinion guys....

Others are saying, diesel could have leaked through the crankcase, piston heads, injectors (which have been tested and are ok) and so on.

Would you lot stand for this!? and feel safe to drive.....even though they think a service would fix this.... i laughed. :dunno

Thank you in advance and sorry if the above is written poorly! I have probably wrote it 100's of times.

Mehdi - Mazda Campaign

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
The first thing to do in any diesel engine runaway situation is to shut the engine off by shutting off the ignition switch, safety permitting.

The causes of runaway on a Mazda could be totally different from the causes of runaway on VW TDI and Audi TDI engines so this is just total speculation on my part:
I don't know why anyone would put diesel in the engine oil and even if they did, why would it cause a runaway engine?
If the engine is defective, that could let diesel in the engine oil.
If the Mazda is equipped with a post injection combustion system for a DPF filter, it's possible that fuel, especially biodiesel, was accumulating inside the crankcase from the extra fuel injection. While it's for a VW/Audi, the basics of their DPF filter systems are described here:http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/DPF-Adblue-FAQ-VW-Audi.htm
On Volkswagen TDI or Audi TDI, a bad turbo leaking engine oil into the intake is often the cause of a runaway engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi, thanks for your reply.

thats what i done, i turnt the engine off and apparantly i was lucky because others cars have just carried on running on the oil even when the ignition is off.

the car does have a dpf fitted, i have never seen a warning light for the dpf but mazda have confirmed that the oil levels have risen like this due to the "normal operation of the diesel particulate filter". The question i put forward was if the DPF is opererating normally then there should be no reason for there to be such a high contamination rate. Its been over 1 months and i have not had a reply from them.

My main point of argument is that this just should have NEVER happened whether you neglect the car or not! and also that not once was i warned about the DPF in regards to long/short journeys! I live in London and the whole day is a long journey but short as constant traffic. We have purchased a new VW Crafter, on the keys it mentions about DPF, a sticker on the windscreen mentions it and what to do if it comes on and the handbook emphasises the point.

In Mazda's brochure which i have the copy of still it does not mention even in the small writing about dpf, only until many of us complained did they change this and included it on their website.

The solicitor, it didnt take me that long - i went on the day i knew Mazda are being tight and reluctant to listen but my bad luck my solicitor took me for a ride so i then had to argue to get my files back! So the car is now with a good solicitor and has been for the past 10 months, the only problem we are facing here is that Mazda simply reply when-ever they want even though the solicitor is asking for a reasonable 14 days reply.

Every letter we send them, they take over 1 month to reply. Apart from this we have to get their permission to have an internal inspection carried out on the car and also Mazda are still refusing to give me all internal job cards from when my car went in.

You can see where patience is the best game to play with Mazda but there must be other ways, deep reasearch to help prove the case.

Would anyone accept an engine run-away on a 10 month old car and then be told its their fault for not havign a service done?!

VOSA are useless, they always stick to the manufacturers word and never arry out a safety investigation, this was the same for Toyota, VOSA ignored most complaints because they said Toyota have cofirmed nothing is wrong. There is an article in the Sunday Times Online about it.

What do you lot suggest i do now? wait it out? or is there anything else i can possibly do?

Thanks for your time

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't/couldn't have found another lawyer at the time because they were holding my files and were refusing to give them back to me unless i settled the full balance which believe me was a lot! i knew if i said no and took them down the legal road my insurance wouldnt cover me.

So i was stuck with this solicitor but they make damn sure they worked hard to keep my custom of which they have. Its Mazda of whoma are delaying this even more.

Last week they came back to me with 3 offers:

1. pay 1/3 contribution to the engineers report
2. i get a free service and a monitor on the car
3. they buy my car for how much its worth off the road, i.e. with a damaged engine and the whole thing rusted which on webuyanycar its only worth 3,000

when i got these offers through i had to laugh to help pass the anger. How can they offer something so minor for a serious situation.

What do you think i can do apart from the legal sides to help push my case forward, i have already got the www.mazda-campaign.co.uk but anymore ideas?

Do you think an engine over-run on a 10 month year old car is right!? how do you think a court would look at this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would have the solicitor modify the complaint to account for the fact that Mazda's lack of response to your problem may endanger lives of other drivers and that it endangered your life. Mazda is relying on the fact that they have more money than you and can simply outlast you in any legal proceedings. Seems like researching other similiar issues with other drivers could make a case for a class action suit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts