VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that the OEM brakes last a long time, is this from using OEM brakes or just the electronic brake proportioning system?

If I switched to grippier brake pads, would they last as long because of the electronic brakes?

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
OEM brakes usually last longer and have less grip than some performance aftermarket brands.

I think the EBD helped too. Aftermarket brake pads should still last a long time with EBD. Also remember that the rotor can help braking performance too. Some rotors are grippier and wear out faster too.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
EBD is the electronic braking standard on the mk4 and up cars in the US. It's connected to the ABS and brake system, basically it brakes the rears more than the front during light braking. The more you brake, the more it biases braking action towards the front. This is why the rears can wear out first.

Also note that the brake pads and rotors are designed to wear out at about the same time, so rotor replacement is suggested. I haven't tried every possible brake rotor out there, I suggest buying quality parts and staying away from drilled rotors because they can crack.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I will probably go with the OEM VW brakes anyways, they seem to work fine so far.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Grippier brake pads generally don't last as long because the OEM brake pads are normally designed for low dust and long life, they sacrifice performance though. Performance pads will grip more but generally wear faster than OEM pads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts