VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help? I am getting diesel smoke in the cab of my car, i have to drive with the windows down. I took it to the muffler shop, no visible exhaust leaks. My mechanic chnged the egr tube, but didn't solve the problem. He tightened down all possible bolts arounf manifold, bur we could not hear or see the leak using a light. He even tried feeling around for an exhaust leak. Not sure what to look for next. My fuel filter has been changed as well as the oil. What else would cause diesel to come into the car so horribly???? My car is a 2003 beetle, and i am the origonal owner. I had the manifold cleaned out and regular timing parts changed at 126,000 miles, and it now has 174,000 miles.
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
68 Posts
Not many places exhaust can come into the car. Since someone already checked the exhaust, it's probably the downpipe flex pipe. This is the place where a braided steel covers the exhaust and it can flex or rust there and leak.

Look at the intake manifold and EGR piping. Other than the exhaust piping those are the only places where smoke can exit. The exhaust manifold could have a crack.

Are there any error codes? Is the exhaust pipe tip too short? Obviously there's a leak somewhere.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
This is quite a dangerous problem. If you're really having this amount of trouble, go to another muffler shop and they may have some different ideas. A new shop = a fresh look.

Here is an outline of the exhaust path and where it could leak.
The exhaust leaves the exhaust ports it's possible the exhaust manifold has a bad gasket or is cracked.
The first section of exhaust pipe at the turbo called the downpipe. The flange could be broken or rusted. Immediately downstream of that is the flex pipe. These can catch road salt and rust out.
The catalytic coverter can rust at the joints. From there out it should be obvious if it's leaking.

I think that if you were to seal the exhaust pipe and put compressed air into the exhaust pipe, it should come out any leaks and you'd hear hissing. It might leak out at the engine cylinders but that should be noticeable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had it on a computer twice. No error codes from the computer. I also had the catalytic converter removed four years ago, so that removes another possible leak point. I will try however another muffler shop. The EGR pipe has already been replaced. Thanks for everyone's ideas and thoughts.
Mike

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
When you say EGR pipe, there are 3 EGR pipes plus the EGR itself. There's 2 flex pipes and the cooler. The EGR itself could also be leaking exhaust somewhere but I would think the exhaust is more likely after someone already checked the EGR system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts