VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago I bought my first new car, VW, and diesel! I have been looking into TDIs for a few months now and found out that it would cost the same to drive my 2001 4Runner (Payment + Gas) as it would cost to drive a new TDI (Payment + Diesel) per month, assuming I can get 40mpg from the Jetta. (I get 17mpg in my 4Runner, and have been paying about $250/mo in gas)

The day I bought my TDI Jetta, I wasn't planning on buying one quite yet (i had to sell the 4runner first) but after some serious negotiation, I got the dealer to take my 4Runner as a trade in for $9000!

I ended up with a 2011 Jetta TDI Sedan with DSG and NAVI. I was planning on getting the dark grey color, but after seeing the White Gold Metallic color in person, I had to get that!

Here are some pics:

So far, I have put about 440 miles on the Jetta (all backroad and city) and I still have about 1/4th of the original tank left! I would be close to my 2nd on the 4runner by now!

I love how the TDI drives and handles, and that I can drive it hard, and still average about 35MPGs. I originally thought the cheaper rear beam suspension on the Jetta Sedan would be a deal breaker, but after test driving a JSW and the Sedan, I really don't notice a difference in how it handles, even on the curvy backroads I drive every day!

All in all, I am really loving my new Jetta. I am amazed how many features/settings can be made through the computer/VAG-COM. However, one of my biggest gripes with the MK6 Sedan is the cheaper Gauge Cluster and MFD it has. I really wish I had a water temp gauge so I knew when the car was warmed up. Also, the cheap MFD the sedan has is so limited in functionality, and you can't use it to make setting changes like you can with the VAG-COM. For example, to change the way my phone contacts are displayed from Last Name First, to First Name Last, I would have to take it to the dealer, or buy a VAG-COM to change it.... I wish there was a way to swap gauge clusters and or MFDs...

Anyways, this forum is amazing and has more information on my car then anywhere else I have seen! Ill be spending ALOT of time reading up on things.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
At this point, there is no compatible cluster in the US. The Golf TDI and Sportwagen TDI clusters won't work. The Euro Jetta TDI cluster might work if you change the gauge faces but I don't know if the kph can be changed to mph.

Awesome pics and awesome price on the trade in...on a 2001 SUV? How do they intend to sell the thing!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh well, I can live with the current gauge cluster and MFD, although I wounder if just the MFD could be swapped? It would probley void the warranty though, so probley not worth it right?

I did luck out on my trade in for my 2001 4runner. However it was in excellent condition, and only had 115k mi on it. They hold their value pretty well and are still sought after. Luckily, the sales manager used to work at Toyota, and knew the value of the 4Runner. They could probley sell it for 10k as it is.

I think I got such a good deal because it was the end of the month, and the salesmen knew I was in no hurry to buy. I really loved that 4Runner, but I don't regret my decision at all, my new Jetta is amazing!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts