VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started my car after work and while pulling out of the parking lot into traffic it just stalled. Would not restart. Towed to Legend VW. Will keep everyone posted. It has 6200 miles on it. All fuel was purchased at high volume station that all the local Ambulances and fire trucks use. They sell thousands of gallons of diesel a week.

Please help:eek

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
update from dealer

I went to the dealer yesterday and asked for the correspondence from VW Tech support. This is from the print out
“tech states no debris in the tank or fuel filter. Advised tech to remove N290 from high pressure pump. If metal is found please give us a call. If no metal found we can spray silicone into the engine to see if it will start. If we have no metal and vehicle starts on silicone we can start checking pressures. In-tank pump usually puts out .5 bar or 8 to 10 psi. Auxiliary pump should be putting around .5 bar. When cranking and watching MVB 20 field 3 we need at least 200 bar from high pressure pump to activate injectors. Give us a call if needed." We shall see what happens today. They also told me the part #,s for the tools they are waiting for.
VAG-1318 and VAS-6550

Getting very worried

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Thanks for any updates. I am curious what happens.

I was reading that someone had their car die and the dealer blamed it on them from contaminated fuel, even though they only went to high volume stations. It would be a good idea to have the dealer take a fuel sample in front of you and give you one with a receipt so they don't misplace the sample or contaminate it, accidentally or otherwise.

It could be as simple as a defective in fuel electric fuel pump.

I believe VAG-1318 is a pressure tester up to 10 bar. VAS-6550 is a diesel fuel pressure tester up to 60 bar.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At the end of the work day I phoned the dealer to see how things were going with the tool they were waiting for. They said they did not get the tool yet but they called VW to find out what was going on with it. My car has been out of service since Monday May 17, 2010. This is becoming a VW nightmare. Thank you for the reply ChittyChittybangbang

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've read about a few of these cars dying. The reasons are unknown. There have been a few bad high pressure fuel pump failures, one with multiple failures. Dealers or insurance have taken care of them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've read about a few of these cars dying. The reasons are unknown. There have been a few bad high pressure fuel pump failures, one with multiple failures. Dealers or insurance have taken care of them.
Yes I am aware of fuel pump problems. Mine has no evidence of metal in the fuel system. And there are no stored codes so they are waiting for this fuel system pressure test tool to see if the issues are related to the fuel delivery system. My car has been out of service for 18 days:confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update from dealer

Dealer called me to inform me that since they can not get the tool till July they are just going to assume that it needs two fuel pumps. They ordered them and will get them tomorrow. I forgot to ask which two pumps they will be replacing. I will find out and post sometime tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the replies.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
picked up my car and......

Tuesday, June 15, 2010
I picked up my Jetta on Monday June 14, 2010. I drove about 20 minutes in light traffic when I heard a humming sound. I arrived at my destination, opened the hood and heard a buzzing sound coming from the fuel filter area. I turned off the car and picked up what I needed from my destination. I came back to the car started it and noticed the noise went away. When I arrived home the buzzing was back. I called Ed and notified him that there was something wrong with the car. He said come back.
I had to go out a few hours later. I started the car and noticed that the noise was gone. I proceeded to my destination. While merging onto the highway the car stalled on the ramp when I was accelerating to normal highway speed and the cars behind me almost collided into the rear of my car. Since I was blocking traffic I franticly kept trying to start the car. It finally started after 8 or 9 attempts. The car proceeded to run inconsistently. It stalled again, and now that my hazard flashers were on people gave me a little more room. I exited the highway and proceeded directly home. The engine kept surging then stalling. When I got to my driveway it seemed to idle smooth but the buzzing was louder than ever and I was able to feel a vibration in the steering wheel. When I turned off the car the cooling fans ran for about 7 to 10 minutes.
This morning I had to go to work. Because it was 6am I had to try to take my Jetta. The car started after 2 attempts. I proceeded to work and the car ran rough until it reached operating temperature. When I exited the parkway and stopped at the first red light I felt the vibration in the steering wheel and heard the buzzing sound. Since yesterday the buzzing became louder.

Will post later
Thanks for all the support

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Oh boy.....so did they actually replace the pumps or not? What did they do? The buzzing could have been many things but if they replaced the fuel pumps that would be the obvious place to start looking. If you take a long thing screwdriver and put the handle to your ear, you can use the tip like a stethoscope to identify what's buzzing. Obviously, keep any loose hair, clothing, fingers, away from the serpentine belts because they can tear anything caught in them.

The cooling fans could have been an active DPF regen. When the emissions filters need regeneration, the engine squirts some extra fuel into the engine which burns up in the filter and cleans it out. The car runs the fan during this time to keep everything cool, even if you shut the car off. This may have been what you heard.

Stalling would make me quite upset. Ask the dealer what the lemon laws are in your state...if the engine stalls you can shift into neutral to let it roll further if it will help clear the road. This way the engine isn't giving resistance to the car rolling.

·
Super Moderator
9,094 Posts
I'm just curious why he has a 2010 Jetta and this thread is in the VW MK5 and Audi A3 TDI section. Can chitty move it to VW MK6 TDI?

Sorry to hear about you problems. I'm curious to what they did. While it was in the dealers all that time did they give a lone car? ;)

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
The mk5 2010 Jetta in the US is a mk5. The Golf and wagons are officially mk6 for 2010 but the 2010 wagon can also be posted here just because there's so much overlap.

He sent me a PM but I don't want to say what they did without his permission.

·
Super Moderator
9,094 Posts
Yes I'm just going by Sixth generation (NCS). The sixth generation Volkswagen Jetta, known as the NCS (New Compact Sedan) during its development, was announced in the North American market in June 2010. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The mk5 2010 Jetta in the US is a mk5. The Golf and wagons are officially mk6 for 2010 but the 2010 wagon can also be posted here just because there's so much overlap.

He sent me a PM but I don't want to say what they did without his permission.
I will respond to PM only with my cars outcome. :lock:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts