VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I wanted to share my most recent mods to my VW. I lowered it on VW DriverGear springs and will post pics once it settles a bit. I also got rid of the boring TDI exhaust and put a GTI-style dual exhaust on, sans muffler. It has straight pipes from the axle back to the tips. Don't worry, it doesn't sound ricey. There is not even a noticeable exhaust noise increase because of all the emissions equipment on the downpipe. This was solely an aesthetic mod.

Here is the stock muffler, it's freakin' huge.

I hacked that out and had straight pipes welded in place.

Before: (Not my car but this is what it used to look like)

After:

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
You really do start to wonder why VW even bothers installing a muffler, after you read so many comments that it does absolutely nothing when you take it off. Why didn't they just save the cash by not installing all those worthless mufflers?

Love to hear more about your new springs. I read a little about them being linear, rather than progressive and being a better match for our stock shocks. It also sounds like they provide a nice little improvement in handling and the little bit of lowering might be just enough to get rid of enough gap to be satisfied. Anyway, would love to hear your thoughts and would also love to get your measurements from the ground to the fender lips at all four corners.

I have the 4-door Golf TDI, but it would still be interesting. Mine is essentially 26" at all four corners, except I can measure as much as a 1/4 inch difference front to rear depending where I am parked. I just remeasured mine a couple of days ago. I am running the stock tire size, 225/45/17 and I am running the tires a little soft, 32 psi at all four wheels. With about 3/4 tank of gas, my measurements are listed below. I was parked in my garage, the most level surface I could find.

My Measurements - Golf TDI 4-door
  1. front driver side: 26 inches
  2. rear driver side: 26 inches
  3. front passenger side: 25 7/8 inches
  4. rear passenger side: 26 1/8 inches

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The springs are linear and the advertised drop is 25-30mm (just over an inch). The way it sits now, I can definitely tell it dropped the front. The rear went down a tad, but I feel that is where most of the settling will occur. It has a slight rake right now which I am VERY ok with. I love rake. A week from now I will get some measurements and post before and after pics for comparison. These springs are made to work with stock shocks and are warrantied by VW.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
You really do start to wonder why VW even bothers installing a muffler, after you read so many comments that it does absolutely nothing when you take it off. Why didn't they just save the cash by not installing all those worthless mufflers?
IIRC, it's not legal to drive a car without a muffler in some areas. The stock muffler ensures compliance in all regions.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Sigh... I wonder why folks can't just leave their cars alone. One day, someone else will be driving your car, and smack and crack that oil pan... and the results are predictable. Pot hole, going up a steep driveway or coming down, hitting a parking stop stone, etc.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sigh... I wonder why folks can't just leave their cars alone. One day, someone else will be driving your car, and smack and crack that oil pan... and the results are predictable. Pot hole, going up a steep driveway or coming down, hitting a parking stop stone, etc.
I am very careful about who I let drive my car. FWIW a skidplate is on the way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You're exhaust mod looks pretty sharp. I would assume that you would at least notice a little better spool up of the turbo after your mod, you noticed nothing?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're exhaust mod looks pretty sharp. I would assume that you would at least notice a little better spool up of the turbo after your mod, you noticed nothing?
Nope. No volume Increase, no quicker turbo spool, just an aesthetic upgrade.

~ Roman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
How interesting that the picture the OP used to illustrate the "before" look of the exhaust is of my car. Because I've pretty much decided that I am going to do this as well. Both for the look (which I love), and also because the Draw-tite hitch for the GTI is much more hidden and unobtrusive than the normal Golf/TDI hitch.

I haven't yet decided for sure whether to do a full mufflerectomy or just install a GTI muffler instead. Leaning towards the former at this time. I found a picture (posted below) of an aftermarket GTI exhaust that sure makes it look simple.

So unless I stumble across a cheap GTI muffler locally, I'll try to fab one up myself. In doing that, I could use some info from some of you who have gone before me on this:
  1. What is the pipe diameter of the inlet to the TDI muffler?
  2. What is the outside diameter of the GTI tips?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Before: (Not my car but this is what it used to look like)

How interesting that the picture the OP used to illustrate the "before" look of the exhaust is of my car. Because I've pretty much decided that I am going to do this as well. Both for the look (which I love), and also because the Draw-tite hitch for the GTI is much more hidden and unobtrusive than the normal Golf/TDI hitch.
Fate? I fortell a GTI exhaust in the cards for you........

·
Registered
100 Posts
I ordered the "Monster-Mats-and-chrome-exhaust-tips" package on my '11 Golf. The package made the tips way cheaper, and the tips made all the aesthetic improvement that I could have wanted. Now I don't need to change anything...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How interesting that the picture the OP used to illustrate the "before" look of the exhaust is of my car.
Oh really? That was actually your car? I picked it cuz it looked like a VW press car. Sorry man.

~ Roman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Oh really? That was actually your car? I picked it cuz it looked like a VW press car. Sorry man.
No worries, I don't mind at all.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Nope, just your average Golf TDI. That picture was taken the day I picked it up, about 3 blocks from my house.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I converted my exhaust today. No pictures to add, as by now we all know what the GTI exhaust looks like on a TDI. But since (as best I can determine from a quick search) I may be the first person who has done this by him or her self - without benefit of a hoist or muffler shop - I thought I'd add a few thoughts, comments and suggestions.

I did this for two reasons. I really prefer the look of the GTI dual exhaust over the TDI (even with chrome or stainless tips added), plus the receiver hitch (that I will add soon) for the GTI is much less obtrusive than the ones for the 2.5/TDI.

Unlike the OP, I did the entire cat back with mufflers. After getting local quotes for a GTI-style mufflerectomy (totally outrageous quotes, I might add), I decided that the only affordable way to go was with the cat back. Both because that eliminates the need for any fabrication, and also because it should be easy to do on jackstands in my own garage. Both reasons turned out to be true.

Here is the complete part list I used, including the extra rubber hanger the full GTI system needs. (Bought them all from Bud at Checkered Flag, great prices and affordable shipping.)

5K6-807-521-H-9B9, $129.54, Rear valance insert (VW calls it a "SPOILER")
5K6-807-441-C-9B9, $8.57, Tow hook cover
N-909-747-01, $0.19 ea, Two extra screws (used at the far outer edges of the valance insert)
8D0-253-147-E, $5.33, exhaust hanger (VW calls it a "RING")

In addition, I bought a barely used cat-back from a VWVortexer in Washington. Cost $100 plus about 10 gallons of B5 round-trip to go pick it up.

The process itself was simple, and went much quicker and more smoothly that I had planned. Total time - 90 minutes max.

I jacked up the rear of the car and supported it on sturdy jackstands. Loosened the two bolts on the clamping sleeve that connects the cat-back to the pipe out of the H2S catalyst, supported the rear muffler with my floorjack, pried off two of the three hangers (front and left rear), and unbolted the bracket for the remaining rear right muffler hanger from the body. With the muffler supported by the jack, the whole thing was quite easy to slide off the cat-pipe and out from under the car.

Swapped the valance insert while the exhaust was off of the car. I had thought that might be easier than doing it with the GTI exhaust in place. In retrospect, I don't think it would have made any difference. Totally straightforward process.

The cat outlet and the TDI exhaust pipe inlet are both 55 mm O.D. pipe. The TDI clamping sleeve is obviously designed as 55 mm I.D. on both sides. The GTI exhaust inlet is 60 mm O.D. (and swells to 65 mm just past the clamping sleeve for the rest of the way to the rear muffler). That sleeve can be swelled or expanded to accommodate the larger size pipe on one end. I did that myself using a cam-type stud extractor - but using the cam to go outside and swell the sleeve. This got the job done and I was able to clamp it down on both pipes. I must admit that I'm not totally happy with the result, I'd rather find a sleeve or pipe reducer that was actually designed for the two different pipe sizes. But whether I'm happy or not, it did work, and seems to be sealing fine at this time.

The GTI exhaust installs exactly the same as the original came out, with the addition of one extra hanger at the center resonator. No drama at all.

The only downside I can see to doing it this way is weight. While I didn't actually weigh the entire GTI exhaust, from feel I'd guess that it weighs 10-12 lbs. more than the TDI system, most of that in the center resonator. For now, I'll live with that.

Total cost, including shipping and the fuel to pick up the GTI exhaust - about $300. Since one shop quoted me $400 + tips to do a custom mufflerectomy and I'd still need the valance, I'd say this was the affordable way to go.

Will be ordering the receiver hitch in about a week.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I lowered my tdi 40mm and it actually sits only slightly lower than the old worn out suspension but the difference in feel and handling is superb. I know that smacking the sump/oil pan is a risk but it's my risk and it's me who buys and fits the new one. I like your guys exhausts too, I'm doing a straight through from the turbo with a single straight through box on the rear and I'm getting bigger nozzles in the next few weeks for a bit more oomph.:D

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've had a couple requests for pictures, am working on that now. Will post them once I get them annotated. Here's a teaser of the finished product.

Before:

After:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts