VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

MTD Noob: the fuj.

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  amd is the best 
#1 ·
Sup guys,

I just traded in my B6 S4 with slightly less than a million miles in for a 2011 SportWagen TDI. It was a good car, but I didn't feel like paying to fix it any more.

I was looking for a 1. Diesel 2. AWD 3. Wagon 4. 6-speed. Unfortunately, such a beast hasn't been made in the US in this decade. So I gave up on the AWD, which is a shame since it was so great on the S, but I'm going to learn to live without.

I looked at the A3, but option for option the SportWagen was a better deal. The (single) power seat, side air bags, sunroof, roof rails, upgraded radio with bluetooth, no Quattro, and no 6-Speed, less space was about 10K more on the A3 than the SportWagen. The Vdub was the obvious choice.

So far, I've been satisfied with the car. It's still relatively fun to drive, I'm getting 35+ MPG (I drive maybe ten minutes to work and back a day, half of which is highway), and I'm anxious to see how it does in the upcoming snow. The extra trunk space has been great as we don't have to take my girlfriend's SUV to the hardware store, when we're taking the dog somewhere, and hauling just about anything.

I have had a few problems which are being remedied this week. Just waiting for the parts to come in. Before I even drove off the lot there was a scratch on one of the wheels, that was replaced before I took delivery. The driver's side window seal is faulty and anything above 35 MPH you can hear a whistling sound like you don't have the window up all the way. There's condensation in the passenger side taillight. And the same wheel that was previously replaced, the tire has a huge bulge in the side of it the size o a golf ball. Not something that should happen to two week old tire. All are faulty, all are being replaced, which is making me happy.

Here's a small photo shoot I did a few weeks ago while it was still fall. If any of you are from around the area you should recognize the building be hind me as The Egg, but if not check out some of the info here.

See less See more
#3 ·
:needpics:

oh wait...nice photos!

What was wrong with the S4? Reviews of the new S4 are much better. I'm still waiting for a 3.0L A4 TDI.
Thanks!

The S4 was an '04 with 150K on the clock. Value had plummeted, and the local VW dealership gave me a great deal on the trade in. Car was in a great shape and I took care of it meticulously. It's age showed, though, and every few months it would need something replaced, none of it easy. To give you an example, to do a $15 alternator belt on it required me to take the headlight, fogs, front bumper, and radiator out. Huge PITA. Car was a pig and drank dino fuel like it's job. Both kinds. At best I was looking at 18 MPG, not to mention have to put at least a couple of quarts of Mobile 1 in it ever few weeks. Up to 1 quart of oil consumption in a 1000 mile period was considered acceptable according to Audi, and since I never reached that usage, I never got the free engine replacement some of the others got.

I had my heart set on a B7 S4 Avant, and if I found one in this area I most definitely would have gone with it. Unfortunately, during the time I was looking, I wasn't able to find one remotely close to this area, and even the ones that I found outside my 100 mile radius search yielded cars over my 30K price range or a odometer that was going to leave me in the same situation that I was in with my B6.

To say the JWS is "settling" is not nice, but honest. It does have a lot of features that I didn't have in the S4, mostly the touchscreen and bluetooth and satellite, all the toys. And I know I am going to miss the AWD in these awful winters, but the S was the only car that I've ever drive that powered all four wheels so I'm used to the lack of traction. Power is also obviously a huge difference but the JSW is still extremely fun. I just got my motorcycle license in September, and come spring time I should be able to get a new toy to satisfy my need for speed.

The biggest plus has been the wagon. My S4 had a huge trunk, but a very small trunk opening, so tailgating and camping (things I do often) was greatly hindered. I am also looking to get a new puppy in the spring and where that was an issue with the leather seats in the S4, I'll be able to keep her in the back in the JSW.

All and all I'm happy with the decision and and the gas mileage has been GREAT. Not "50 mpg" great like the salesmen was trying to sell me on, but great nevertheless. I'll keep you guys updated as things come along and the mods start coming!

#5 ·
Get some snow tires. You won't miss the AWD much because of the traction control and just remember that 4 tires x 0 traction = 0 traction. At least you'll really know when stopping power is weak.

How about this for a first mod: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f19/sportwagen-golf-gti-r-bumper-swap-3038/
Believe me, I can't tell you how many times I've looked at that thread. R bumper looks GREAT!

First few things are going to be simple, probably the diesel geek Short Shifter and the skid plate. I would also like to go with 18s or 19s, my personal faves being VMR V710s, naturally I can't go with big wheels without going for a drop.

Something has to be done about the lack of fogs, but i don't really want to invest in fogs if I go with the R front bumper route.

I also am looking at a roof rack, can't remember the name (not Thule, not Yakima) that claims to be the quietest and most aerodynamic rails out there.

#7 ·
Whisper rack? Make sure it fits with the pano sunroof.
http://www.whispbar.co.nz/roofracks/whispbar

Whispbar is the name of the company. They make a version that sits on top of the rails rather than going in between them. I've heard some fitment issues with the ones that go in between as the space between the rails differs from the front to back, but not so much with the top mount ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.