VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

I am looking at a local 2010 Golf TDI and they are pretty firm at $2k over MSRP.

The salesman says its the only one like it in CA currently. This is likely why he is willing to let me go to get that premium on it.

I'd love to get into a TDI sooner than later, obviously, but I have no objection to waiting 2-3 months.

Furthermore, I have another local dealer who has promised MSRP on a custom order, or on the next TDI they get in (Currently don't have any because they are a smaller dealership who probably hasn't proved themselves to VWoA yet).


What would you all do??? Should I wait and save $2k (maybe more if supply increases and I can haggle more), or will it be 6+months before I'll be able to get anything better than this price?

Here's the breakdown:
2010 Golf TDI, Black, 2 Door, DSG, Cold-Weather and Rubber Mat Packages and Bluetooth.

I wanted Xenons and Dynaudio pretty bad, but couldn't locate a vehicle with those options so I'd be settling for this car.

It would be nice to wait and put that $2k+ I'd save on a car with the options I wanted, but again, I don't think I'd want to wait longer than 6mo.

Thanks everyone! I need some emotional support! :panic:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
I bought virtually the same car (but 4-door) in November, and paid about $1k over MSRP. It was worth it for me to do so for several reasons:

1) Part of the Federal Stimulus bill allows you to write off the sales tax from purchasing a new vehicle when you do your 2009 federal taxes. For me, the deduction covered the majority of the dealer mark-up, so it made it easier to swallow. Note that this sales tax deduction ends at the end of december, as in after tomorrow.

2) My old car was tired enough that I didn't want to push it another 4 months.

3) They got me a good financing rate - better than I had expected.

4) It makes total sense to me that the dealer is going to get a premium, given how few are available. They had asked for a $4,000 premium, an we worked backwards from there. I walked at $2k, but could live with $1k, the tax deduction, and the financing.

Note that I was looking for the other features you were as well. I'm actually pretty happy with the stock headlights, but wish I had the Dynaudio system. I haven't actually heard it, but I find the stock system pretty anemic.

FYI, I'm in the Sacramento area - where are you?

Hey everyone.

I am looking at a local 2010 Golf TDI and they are pretty firm at $2k over MSRP.

The salesman says its the only one like it in CA currently. This is likely why he is willing to let me go to get that premium on it.

I'd love to get into a TDI sooner than later, obviously, but I have no objection to waiting 2-3 months.

Furthermore, I have another local dealer who has promised MSRP on a custom order, or on the next TDI they get in (Currently don't have any because they are a smaller dealership who probably hasn't proved themselves to VWoA yet).


What would you all do??? Should I wait and save $2k (maybe more if supply increases and I can haggle more), or will it be 6+months before I'll be able to get anything better than this price?

Here's the breakdown:
2010 Golf TDI, Black, 2 Door, DSG, Cold-Weather and Rubber Mat Packages and Bluetooth.

I wanted Xenons and Dynaudio pretty bad, but couldn't locate a vehicle with those options so I'd be settling for this car.

It would be nice to wait and put that $2k+ I'd save on a car with the options I wanted, but again, I don't think I'd want to wait longer than 6mo.

Thanks everyone! I need some emotional support! :panic:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
2k over MSRP is a rip off. Especially when another dealer has promised MSRP. Think about it this way, even if you have a long 6 month wait, that's an extra $333 per month you are paying in car payments. When you go to sell the car you won't get that money back. If you want to get xenons and dynaudio get them because they're pretty difficult/expensive to add later.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
33 Posts
:mad:I personally would walk.........It is greed plain and simple.........But that's the way VW dealers act when they have an in demand model as they do now with the Golf TDI.........it is sad though because they will sell it to the next guy willing to give them an extra 2000 in profit!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
When you go to sell the car you won't get that money back.
If you bought it today and wrecked it tomorrow you wouldn't get it back, either.

It's infuriating that the same dealers are quoting sweetheart deals on cars that they have a lot of inventory on, but supply-and-demand is what it is. Once again -- long history here -- VWoA misjudges demand for something.

So busy today cranking out base model 2.5 Golfs and Jettas when (who knew?) there was pent-up demand for something extremely economical that was also very nice inside and also very fun to drive and - in the greater scheme of things -still a very inexpensive car. Go figure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm going to walk because that 2k would get me the dynaudio and headlights and I'd have $900 leftover to put towards the car.

I really don't feel like it'll be hard to wait, my current car is fine and I'd rather wait and take my chances. Unless he's willing to go MSRP on the car I kinda want (not the options I want).

Are we expecting TDI production to increase or will it be this stagnant for years?

PS i'm in the Clovis/Fresno area. =)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23,902 Posts
VW has stated that they just increased TDI production by 2000 units a month. Different dealers get different allocations but pretty much any dealer will get more than they have now. It does take a while for this increased production to trickle down to the consumer. I believe that the full income tax credit amount will be available until 6/10 so if you have something to drive now that's 6 months to get the car you want.

I had to negotiate for the the project car I recently got. I negotiated the price down, we agreed, then the dealer said there was an additional documentation fee. I made a fuss and walked out the door. The next day they called me back and I made a fuss and no deal. After another day I called back and negotiated the price below the previously agreed upon price for the amount of the documentation fee. Playing the game will not work every time in your favor but that's the nature of the game.

Every single car on the dealer lot is a commodity. There are many exactly like it. Unless it's a rare model or has many mods, it's not special. The problem is that supply is so low and demand is so high that for the present, it is a somewhat rare model. You do not have the negotiating edge. That's why if you can get what you want for MSRP soon I wouldn't worry about a few hundred dollars. In a few months you should be able to go a little below MSRP but I wouldn't wait a few months to save $200. $2000, yes. Just my values.

FYI, I was testing the waters and talking to a few dealers on a new 2010. I was able to talk them down to a few hundred dollars under MSRP if I put money down right then. I don't know delivery timetables or whatnot but I wanted to get some feelers. That's when I walk. I wasn't being rude, that's the game dealers play with customers. If you want to play you could save a little money, if you want a hassle free buying experience then you have to pay now or wait. Ultimately it's what you value - your time and energy shopping around or some money by paying a little more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Just got back from the dealership and he's still firm on $2k. They didn't seem to want to sweeten the deal on a trade in so I'll be going through the usual steps of going private party to save a few grand.

So I just made it clear that I would rather wait for the increased production to arrive and go from there.

If he's willing to come down, I hope he does it early tomorrow because a lot of incentives go bye bye on the first. =)

thanks fellow TDIers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
I say absolutely wait. Don't give the dealership the joy of making a ton of money from you...there are plenty of fools out there that will, but then again maybe they won't and then the dealership will be forced to settle for less than what they initially wanted. I have been looking throughout the US and found several cars that have been sitting on the lot since the beginning of December. Some have even had to go to eBay and list their car to sell (2010 TDI Golf). So this should be a sign.

I think the best thing you could do, is go to a dealership that you feel good with, likely one that does not have any in stock, place your wish-list and wait for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Just got back from the dealership and he's still firm on $2k. They didn't seem to want to sweeten the deal on a trade in so I'll be going through the usual steps of going private party to save a few grand.

So I just made it clear that I would rather wait for the increased production to arrive and go from there.

If he's willing to cone down, I hope he does it early tomorrow because a lot of incentives go bye bye on the first. =)

thanks fellow TDIers!
If someone told me $2k over MSRP I'd try to talk them down. If you act like you're actually considering it they know they have you and won't budge. Or they're really waiting for $1k over MSRP. I would stick to MSRP at the max. Ultimately the market decides what's fair but VW suggests the price for a reason. At the lowest you could get a Jetta TDI for about $1500 under MSRP. That's $3500 you could have saved for getting the timing right. Of course if you need a car now the time is now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
You could also get a firesale GM - under $10,000 for a brand new car.

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/automotive/view.bg?articleid=1221854&srvc=business&position=recent

NEW YORK — General Motors Co. is offering deep discounts on its remaining Saturn and Pontiac vehicles as it looks to move the leftover inventory of the soon-to-be-dead brands, according to a published report.

The automaker will pay dealers $7,000 for every new Saturn or Pontiac left on their lot if the vehicle is moved to dealer-operated rental or service fleets, according to The Wall Street Journal, which cited a letter mailed to dealers. This allows the dealers to sell the cars and trucks to consumers at a discount, although the vehicles would be labeled as used because the dealer would technically be the first owner.

The offer expires Jan. 4, according to the newspaper. GM spokesman Tom Henderson confirmed the details of the incentive plan Tuesday.

"That was the purpose of the programs — to help dealers reduce those inventories," he said.

The decision to discount Saturns and Pontiacs comes as GM closes down both brands under the Detroit automaker’s restructuring plan. The shutdown of Pontiac was announced earlier in the year. GM announced this fall it would discontinue Saturn after a deal collapsed to sell the brand to Penske Automotive Group Inc.

Besides Pontiac and Saturn, GM is selling Hummer to a Chinese heavy equipment maker and is likely shuttering Swedish brand Saab. That will leave the automaker with four core brands: Buick, Chevrolet, GMC and Cadillac.

Sales of Saturn and Pontiac have declined sharply this year. Saturn sales have plunged 61.5 percent through November, according to Autodata Corp. Pontiac sales have slid 32.3 percent. GM’s companywide decline is 31.8 percent.

With a $7,000 discount, the manufacturer’s suggested price of Pontiac’s cheapest vehicle, the G3 hatchback, falls to $7,335. The incentive brings Saturn’s cheapest vehicle, the Astra compact car, to $9,495. Henderson, however, cautioned that the final price of the vehicles might be different.

GM’s typical offers discounts that are much smaller. According to the auto research Web site Edmunds.com, GM’s incentive spending in November totaled $4,270 per vehicle, on average.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23,902 Posts
If I could get invoice minus all of the dealer "trunk cash - the factory incentive" to move the car, I would definitely consider a loaded saturn or pontiac. The only problem is that it's not what I want. Then again, I like saving money too. Expires Jan 4 and the dealer might not not give you all the trunk cash, they may hold some of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just sent the dealership an email with Edmunds.com's TMV report showing that according to actual sales numbers from dealerships across the nation, most people are actually paying $125 under MSRP on the exact vehicle that he has.

He says that the 2grand premium is reasonable given the rarity of the vehicle, but that's not what Edmunds.com says.

Anyway, looks like I'm passing on this one unfortunately. However, I'm going to go back to that other dealership today and place my order for a Black TDI Coupe with Dynaudio for sure!

Through my test drives, I decided that the Cold-Weather Package is real nice... those seat warmers make the Heater almost unecessary!

Now, I just need to decide if I want to spring for the Bixenons and order the car, make sure the dealership knows not to install the dealer plates on it when it arrives, and put it out of my mind so I don't torture myself for the next few months!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
I just sent the dealership an email with Edmunds.com's TMV report showing that according to actual sales numbers from dealerships across the nation, most people are actually paying $125 under MSRP on the exact vehicle that he has.

He says that the 2grand premium is reasonable given the rarity of the vehicle, but that's not what Edmunds.com says.

Anyway, looks like I'm passing on this one unfortunately. However, I'm going to go back to that other dealership today and place my order for a Black TDI Coupe with Dynaudio for sure!

Through my test drives, I decided that the Cold-Weather Package is real nice... those seat warmers make the Heater almost unecessary!

Now, I just need to decide if I want to spring for the Bixenons and order the car, make sure the dealership knows not to install the dealer plates on it when it arrives, and put it out of my mind so I don't torture myself for the next few months!
Good for you!!!!! :) Teach that salesman a little lesson maybe. Like the majority of salesmen, he sounds like a goof-ball. He used the word "rarity"? What a joke. One will not know if it's a rarity until the end of the build year when the numbers are finally out with how many VW produced. The reality is, this is a newly designed car and it just got released to the states in the past month or two and momentum takes time for the cars to come out. If you do a search with cars.com, it shows there are currently 139 TDI Golfs available throughout the states. Maybe after another week of that car sitting at the lot, he'll wise up and give you call and want to negotiate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That'd sure be nice. However, waiting til next week means no more good interest rate or sales tax deduction :(

oh well. They wouldn't have saved me 2000, so it doesn't matter.

And I'm still holing for a dynaudio equipped car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
I just sent the dealership an email with Edmunds.com's TMV report showing that according to actual sales numbers from dealerships across the nation, most people are actually paying $125 under MSRP on the exact vehicle that he has.

He says that the 2grand premium is reasonable given the rarity of the vehicle, but that's not what Edmunds.com says.

Anyway, looks like I'm passing on this one unfortunately. However, I'm going to go back to that other dealership today and place my order for a Black TDI Coupe with Dynaudio for sure!

Through my test drives, I decided that the Cold-Weather Package is real nice... those seat warmers make the Heater almost unecessary!

Now, I just need to decide if I want to spring for the Bixenons and order the car, make sure the dealership knows not to install the dealer plates on it when it arrives, and put it out of my mind so I don't torture myself for the next few months!
Also check out zag.com . I'm not exactly sure how it works but I used it to see what the prices were. On some it won't give you the price and tells you to contact the dealer. On others it gives you a price and what dealers will give you that price. I imagine that it's a no-hassle type service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Prices...Invoice...MSPR...Markups...

My purchase experiance was along same lines that has been posted. I ordered and made a deposit on a 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan at the end of July,2009. The sales rep and I agreed on a set of options for the car I wanted. The purchase price wasn't set because I was told it would not be released for some time. I waited until the end of September to pick up a 2010 Jetta TDI. I was given the option of accepting a TDI close to what I wanted, or waiting until another one became available. The TDI I have is the color, has the manuel transmission, sun roof, radio and 17" tires I requested. I was given the option of accepting nicer rims and a interior mats and exterior dress kit. I now love what I ended up with. The pricing ended up being MSRP with no additional mark-up. My dealor did assist me in getting the fog light kit I wanted and installing it for a fair price.

Over all I guess I'm happy with everything. However i'm still not completely satisfied without the ability to deal so to speak. It appears no matter what the economy is doing VW controls completely how they sell cars.

2010 Jetta TDI
6 Speed Manuel Transmission
Sun Roof
17" Rims
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another update

I spoke with the same dealership again today because I was considering a GTI instead of the TDI on the grounds that, at the $2k markup, a comprably equipped GTI at invoice would have similar ownership costs.

This guy got me a smoking deal at $99 over invoice.

Unfortunately, It had the sunroof, upgraded wheels and xenons, but NO dynaudio (the only option I REALLY want).

Even with the smokin deal, its still optioned out in such a way that its not worth it for me, as its only a couple hundred less than the TDI at 2k markup.

So anyways, we had a lot of back and forth, I got him down to $1k over MSRP, but thats still too much considering I have a problem paying MSRP at all, AND this TDI doesnt have dynaudio...

So, looks like I'm back in line to wait. officially.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top