VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well in the middle of doing the Timing belt and replacing the valves I thought it was time to clean the intake. You can see that it was clogged pretty bad. I averaged about 43 mpg before, now that I've spent pretty much all day cleaning the intake I'm hoping that it will pay off. What do you think that my gains might be?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
A smile for a start hopefully, I don't know what sort of difference it made regarding the mpg when I did mine but the car sounded and ran much better, the revs just climb up no bother now.:)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Minimal because that really isn't too bad. If it were down to the size if your pinky, then you would see a big difference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm new to the TDI stuff. I thought that intake was terrible. I guess it isn't that bad from the way you all are talking about it

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have an 05 passat and had nothing but intake problems since new.... my intercooler fills with oil and leaks out of the clamps all over the belly shield. had a new turbo under warranty, didnt fix the problem... problem solved when the crank case vent was plugged off to the intake pipe and vented to the air.. no more oil leaks or smoke..

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I'm curious is there anything that can be done to limit this build-up? I run premium fuel at times and standayne with every tank. What mileage did you this?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are a couple variants of a mod that can be done to trap the oil from the CCV, search here and on TDIClub and you'll find the ways around it. I do believe it is on here, in the 1000q section that there is a procedure that you perform to the ECU via VCDS that changes the setting of the EGR valve. It changes the emissions a little bit so some of the stricter states like CA might not like it. The Intake being clogged up is a pretty common problem, and there are several fixes for it.

My car is at 140K. I purchased it used about 10K ago. I've been meaning to get the intake cleaned and do the timeing belt, but work just wouldn't let me have the down time to perform the maintenance, now I have to do it with the timeing belt stripping out at the crank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts