VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what gives? I saw the Golf TDI got more mileage and then the Jetta too for 2010. I've also seen a different DSG mentioned, that doesn't seem likely for 1 year unless they are carrying this engine/transmission for a few years in the Golf.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
It is mentioned in the 2009 vs 2010 article. It's possible that there is some tuning change or the car was retested to raise the EPA estimates.

I've seen mentions of a different DSG, this is 99% not the case. If it were, someone would have had proof of it by now. So far, the dry DSG is used only in the smaller Euro diesels since it has a torque limit which is exceeded by the larger engines.

Also, while it's not confirmed yet, there are strong indications that the Jetta will be all new in 2011 and not be delayed into 2012. It will probably use the same basic engine/transmission but the body/chassis/look will be all new.

D

·
0 Posts
2nd, the 2010 will be on lots in a few months. If there was a major technological change then you'd have heard of it by now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2010 TDI Sedan 6spd here.

I got 42 mpg on my first 3/4 of a tank, driving 50/50 highway back roads, did a couple 45 miles trips where the computer calculated 50mpg. Doing another 250+ miles this weekend see what it brings.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The newer cars seem to have more accurate mpg meters for some reason. The older cars seemed to be off a little. The funny thing is that although the speedo might be off the odometer isn't and the mpg meter shouldn't. I guess it works off the odometer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In any case, they must have had the cars retested since the rating is different. Maybe a software change?

·
Registered
13 Posts
2010 TDI Sedan 6spd here.

I got 42 mpg on my first 3/4 of a tank, driving 50/50 highway back roads, did a couple 45 miles trips where the computer calculated 50mpg. Doing another 250+ miles this weekend see what it brings.
Today was the first day of my commute with my 2010 TDI (manual), and I got 51 MPG! My commute is 110 miles round trip...

http://www.topgearage.com/?p=522

1 - 7 of 7 Posts