VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone used Mobil 1 in there new 2009 Jetta TBI’s? I have been very happy with the use of Mobil 1 products in my gas cars and motorcycles. I found this special Mobil 1 oil that is sold through Chrysler Dealers, Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30.

Attached is the spec. sheet:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/glxxenpvlmomobil_1_esp_formula_5w-30.pdf

I would love to hear your comments.

Thanks for your assistance.

OLDRT

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hm, it looks good. Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 has VW 507 approval. A 0w weight oil would slightly improve fuel economy but 5w is fine.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Thanks for bringing that up - it looks like it IS approved BY VW for the common rail engine and not just "made to vw spec". The difference is VW approval. This oil should work fine in your car and it even says "fully compatible with the latest Diesel Particulate Filters".

Here is a screenshot of the TSB where VW says it's approved, here is the link: VW oil TSB

I will add this to the list of approved engine oils in the 2009 buyer's checklist. It looks like the Mobil part number for a 1 liter bottle is 68001334aa.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I know it doesn't apply to mine but what is so special about 507 engine oil?
It's the only oil approved by VW to use in the common rail engine. Without a record of using it, the dealer has an excuse to deny warranty coverage of the engine or exhaust. For me, that's the end of the argument right there. No point in further discussing it.

There are some endless arguments on tdiclub about oil types, etc., I believe that you should just get the correct synthetic diesel oil that is approved for your VW and just drive more, worry less. Some have had issues with camshafts but I personally believe in drive more worry less. Make sure to follow all normal maintenance schedules, change all the "lifetime fluids" on a reasonable basis and fix it when it's broken, drive more worry less.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Thanks for bringing that up - it looks like it IS approved BY VW for the common rail engine and not just "made to vw spec". The difference is VW approval. This oil should work fine in your car and it even says "fully compatible with the latest Diesel Particulate Filters".

Here is a screenshot of the TSB where VW says it's approved, here is the link: VW oil tsb

I will add this to the list of approved engine oils in the 2009 buyer's checklist. It looks like the Mobil part number for a 1 liter bottle is 68001334aa.
FYI, when I click your link it brings up a picture.

·
Registered
94 Posts
IMO, not many people do their own maintenance so they don't know if their cams are worn? Therefore, the problems aren't more widely known, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts