VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the "facelifted" MKV JSW's, from what I gather (and coming from a MKV Golf) these are essentially MKV's with a facelift, MKVI Golf dash, etc. Which would lead one to believe, most features are carried over (please feel free to correct me if needed).

When I start the car, my MKV's wipers would slightly move up to position, and when I turn off the car, the wipers return to their rest position, which made them "disappear" from view, kind of under the hood. They would also slightly move up more if you turn the wiper stalk to the intermittent setting. I loved this feature!

With my JSW, there is some wiper movement with the on/off of the ignition, but the movements are either not consistent, or too much. Where the wipers should move up a bit when the ignition is turned on, sometimes don't move at all/move too much. This is probably my OCD and not a big issue, but it's noticable coming from the MKV.

Is this correctable or worth a look?

TIA!

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
My 2006 Jetta TDI moves the wipers about every 5 starts/stops, not every time. This is to extend wiper life. I dont' think they are supposed to move up every time and back to the rest position when shutting the car off. The rest position should be the default position because it's more aerodynamic. Maybe your mk5 Golf/rabbit is somehow different.

·
Super Moderator
9,400 Posts
Well I'm not sure what you drive as you don't show anything in your car spec and your Fuelly only shows 2.0L CR TDI build date 4/2010 but your talking about the JSW. Considering you've made 10 posts you haven't completed your car spec.

The wipers on my Golf park in the same position everytime below the bonnet line it never varies. ;)

Oh I see some spec in your sig, sorry.

·
Registered
53 Posts
There's been a lot of debate as to whether the 2010+ JSW are MKVI's or not. Let's get the facts straight. They are.

Just because in the US the Jetta went in a different direction/platform does not make your JSW an MKV. The JSW is actually known as a Golf SportWagen/Variant every where else in the world (except for the Bora) and, like the Golf, the MKVI's ARE only a facelift (inside and out) as the architecture, suspension, door frames, side glasshouse, roof and wheelbase are identical to the MKV.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 2006 Jetta TDI moves the wipers about every 5 starts/stops, not every time. This is to extend wiper life. I dont' think they are supposed to move up every time and back to the rest position when shutting the car off. The rest position should be the default position because it's more aerodynamic. Maybe your mk5 Golf/rabbit is somehow different.

The rest position on the MKV had it positioned where you wouldn't see the wipers if you were looking at the car from the front - "tucked" under where the hood meets the windshield. that would be aerodynamic wouldn't it?

maybe it was different or would being built in Germany be a difference? my JSW is Mexican built and maybe it's just me but I can see difference, with the assembly, etc. no biggie but i guess i notice small stuff and i drive the car 100 miles/day and it's getting to me :ugh

i should have done this from my first post
:needpics:

i know the angles of the shots can be misleading but, you get the point.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's been a lot of debate as to whether the 2010+ JSW are MKVI's or not. Let's get the facts straight. They are.

Just because in the US the Jetta went in a different direction/platform does not make your JSW an MKV. The JSW is actually known as a Golf SportWagen/Variant every where else in the world (except for the Bora) and, like the Golf, the MKVI's ARE only a facelift (inside and out) as the architecture, suspension, door frames, side glasshouse, roof and wheelbase are identical to the MKV.
i hear ya and i don't disagree. i guess it's how i have it in my head werd

·
Registered
100 Posts
The wipers on my 2011 Golf stay all the way down unless they're turned on. Then, whether in intermittent or full on, the "park" position moves a bit higher...like pictured on that gray JSW.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The wipers on my 2011 Golf stay all the way down unless they're turned on. Then, whether in intermittent or full on, the "park" position moves a bit higher...like pictured on that gray JSW.
that's just it - I don't believe this should be the case. then again, I'm going with the notion that the "MKVI" JSW is really a MKV with a MKVI Golf front end, dash, etc.

I guess I got used to my MKV's wipers' behavior.

I know this "issue" seems petty, but until my warranty expires, I'm pretty sure I will be worrying about deeper issues... :p

·
Registered
100 Posts
I absolutely HATE the fact that I can't simply lift my wipers off of the windshield without jiggering the ignition switch and wiper switch to get the wipers into the "service" position. The last car I had where this was the case was in the early '70s (my '70 Corvette) and I stored that car during winters, so it wasn't an issue. My 2011 Golf is my year-round daily driver, so right now the hidden wipers are a gigantic PITA, and when I brought this up over on the Vortex I got totally flamed for my trouble...

·
Registered
82 Posts
I absolutely HATE the fact that I can't simply lift my wipers off of the windshield without jiggering the ignition switch and wiper switch to get the wipers into the "service" position. The last car I had where this was the case was in the early '70s (my '70 Corvette) and I stored that car during winters, so it wasn't an issue. My 2011 Golf is my year-round daily driver, so right now the hidden wipers are a gigantic PITA, and when I brought this up over on the Vortex I got totally flamed for my trouble...
Agreed about Vortex. After doing a bit of lurking there, I've realized that about the only thing that forum is good for is getting flamed unless your primary interest is getting 500 HP out of your VW.

As for the wipers, I thought it was a funny example of over engineering at first: extra time, money, and resources spent so that I didn't have to see an inch of wiper blade, and reduce noise and drag by an infinitesimal amount. Then it snowed. It's utterly ridiculous that I can't lift the wipers up and clear out the ice and snow before driving, especially since I really NEED those wipers to work well in wintry conditions.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Agreed about Vortex. After doing a bit of lurking there, I've realized that about the only thing that forum is good for is getting flamed unless your primary interest is getting 500 HP out of your VW.

As for the wipers, I thought it was a funny example of over engineering at first: extra time, money, and resources spent so that I didn't have to see an inch of wiper blade, and reduce noise and drag by an infinitesimal amount. Then it snowed. It's utterly ridiculous that I can't lift the wipers up and clear out the ice and snow before driving, especially since I really NEED those wipers to work well in wintry conditions.
Thank you so much...I was beginning to think I was the Lone Ranger on this issue. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thank you so much...I was beginning to think I was the Lone Ranger on this issue. :)
:+1

x2

1 - 12 of 12 Posts