VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m replacing my AC compressor and am currently at the point of changing the oil. I’ve measures the oil from the bad compressor and drained 105cc. Theoretically the compressor should have around 66.5 cc which is approx 50 % of the capacity. The PO (my brother) had the ac compressor replaced before, so I can’t say the previous repair was done correctly (oil, etc). What does everyone think I should do regarding the amount of oil to replace in the compressor? 65.5 cc per the book, or 105 cc that I drained out of the bad compressor? The entire system hold around 135 cc if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I checked the manual and 110 cc +/- 10 cc is the capacity. So my memory was a bit off at 135 cc. I went with 66.5 cc in the compressor. Maybe the guy who replaced the compressor previously added too much oil? If you guys think I’m off with the 66.5 cc, let me know. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zero thoughts from anyone on the amount of oil to put in the compressor? I’m using Pag 46 oil.

·
Super Moderator
9,555 Posts
When you have AC re-gassed you don't measure the old oil in the system you remove it all and put new PAG oil in with the R34A.

In the UK this has to be done by someone that is certified to do this.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The compressor I’m putting in is used. I’m changing the oils as described in the instruction from Sanden (see steps below). I believe the idea is to put the same amount in the used compressor that was in the bad older one. My problem is the old compressor had almost the full capacity of oil (105 cc) in it. I put back I. 50 cc.

SERVICE OPERATIONS OIL CHANGING :

Compressor Repaired Internally and Reinstalled in the System:

1. Before any internal repair is done, drain the oil from the compressor.

2. Trouble-free installation and operation of an SD compressor require:

a) Remove the oil plug and drain as much oil as possible into a suitable container.

b) Remove the caps (if present) from suction and discharge ports.

c) Drain oil from the suction and discharge ports into a suitable container while turning the shaft clockwise only with a socket wrench on the armature retaining nut.

2. Measure and record the amount of oil drained from the compressor.

3. Inspect the oil for signs of contamination such as discoloration or foreign material.

4. Perform repairs to the compressor.

5. Add the same amount of new oil to the compressor as was measured in step 2. Be sure to use the correct oil for the compressor.

6. Re-install oil plug. Seal and O-ring must be clean and not damaged. Torque to 11-15 ft•lb (15-20 N-m, 150-200 kgf-cm). Be careful not to cross-thread oil plug.

7. It is recommended that the oil quantity be confirmed after re-installation of the compressor to the vehicle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When you have AC re-gassed you don't measure the old oil in the system you remove it all and put new PAG oil in with the R34A.

In the UK this has to be done by someone that is certified to do this.
A bit of oil will come out when you remove the refrigerant, but most of it will be left behind. The only way to get it out is to disassemble the system and flush it.

In the US, you can work with 134a yourself, but it's still illegal to vent it into the atmosphere. You must remove it (or have it removed) for recycling or reuse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts