VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm a bit confused, the blue ones are poly and the yellow Forge ones are also poly but quieter because the durometer is lower?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I'm a bit confused, the blue ones are poly and the yellow Forge ones are also poly but quieter because the durometer is lower?
Durometer is a measurement of rubber stiffness. So the author says that the Forge ones are quieter. I prefer quieter engine mounts on a daily driver. Stiffer mounts will prevent engine movement, letting you put more power to the ground but it also transmits engine vibration to the body.

Thanks for the tip, I'll mirror it and add it to the FAQ soon.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
If you want stiffer mounts check this out: http://www.tdiparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=99&products_id=888

It says it's the same geometry as the original mount but with slightly stiffer rubber. For a daily driver I believe rubber is better than poly. Poly is harder and can squeak if it's not greased.

The link above says less wheelhop, wheelhop is when the tires grip and then let go repeatedly, causing the wheels to hop. Unless you're dropping the clutch and doing burnouts, a regular or sport suspension will be fine.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was told by Peter at TDI Parts that the 034 engine mounts will cause some noticeable vibration. That's why I decided to just purchase the dogbone last weekend.

·
Registered
482 Posts
On a TDI I'd stay with stock. 2nd on the writeup's comments about wheelhop. C6 vettes have been blowing rear ends because people try to power their way out of wheelhop- if a vette can't do it a TDI can't do it!

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
18 Posts
Another n00b question... How often should dogbone mounts be replaced? What are some symptoms of wear? The one in my green golf looks beat up.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I wouldn't replace them unless the engine is rocking back and forth. Maybe if you had around 200k miles you could change them at your convenience. The dogbone mount isn't supporting the engine, unlike the other 2 mounts.

Hold a mirror under the car and have a helper start the engine. You should be able to see if it's rocking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
... I know I'm coming in here late RE: "motor mounts"...but !

Fellow FORUM Members,
As a "Newbie" I've been learning at somewhat of a fast pace...
and wanted to know IF there is any test a DIYer can perform on the motor mounts for the JETTA TDI's.
I have done a TB change so I removed and know about the "beefy" one on the front of the engine.
As I understand it the engine sits atop and wants to torque/twist around this front mount and
the one that is opposite on the tranny end of the transverse mounted engine.
I’m intrigued over this design and use of what is called a "pendulum support" (mount)
that apparently primarily dampens the torque of the engine as it tries to twist around
the line of power that essentially parallels the line of front axles.

On an automatic as we have, could we hold the brake while the car is in gear and add some throttle…
say in the form of engine RPM… and then measure the outer engine torque movement?

Do you think such a test would be at all “definitive” and/or helpful in making the decision about
the need to replace any of the 3 motor mounts… but particularly the pendulum support mount...
for I think this is the one that should wear out first!??
Yes, I read this detailed article in the POST referenced early on in this THREAD:
http://www.ottawa-vdubbing.com/forum...0c909c5c99dc40
Thanks in advance,
Sam Ross

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
FYI, most forums will shorten a link to a maximum length so that it doesn't take up a million characters. As you cut and pasted the link text instead of the link source it gets broken.

Take a look at the transmission removal article. It shows how to replace the other hanging mount.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts