VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HeyYou: says hey to all TDI forum members, don't know where to start.
New to the VW TDI world. I work and maintain all of my vehicles. Various brands, I'm an electrician by trade, mechanic all of my life by life. this doesn't mean i know it all.
Anyway, please lets get started on the issue at hand, first of all. I'm sure there are some dues to pay??
If not here is the situation.

My 2012 Golf 2.0L TDI MT sometimes will not start, and when I try again it will start. This is intermittent. When trying to start it will display traction control error shows on dash. Overtime I have noticed that if glow plug light does not illuminate, it will not start, and traction control error.

·
Super Moderator
9,220 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Its nice to see you made an intro on your own. ;)

This is a new forum layout with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes. It doesn't show the car spec/location.

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a poll which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

You have made 2 threads with the same title.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for what you guys are doing. I will scan this week. Are there some areas in the scan that you recommend looking at focusing on Im assuming ABS? thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
HeyYou: says hey to all TDI forum members, don't know where to start.
New to the VW TDI world. I work and maintain all of my vehicles. Various brands, I'm an electrician by trade, mechanic all of my life by life. this doesn't mean i know it all.
Anyway, please lets get started on the issue at hand, first of all. I'm sure there are some dues to pay??
If not here is the situation.

My 2012 Golf 2.0L TDI MT sometimes will not start, and when I try again it will start. This is intermittent. When trying to start it will display traction control error shows on dash. Overtime I have noticed that if glow plug light does not illuminate, it will not start, and traction control error.
I had a sometimes does not start issue once. Investigations at the time suggested it related to a module associated with the gearbox/gear shift positioning. 2011 Golf GTD DSG (computer controlled manual gearbox). The module is under the cover where the main gear shift is. I don't have links/references for it anymore. I corrected my problem by simply accessing the module, tapping it with a screw driver, then closing the cover back.If your wondering I am a qualified electronics technician. The module has a mechanical detection switch that can get stuck. The alternative fix if this does not work is likely to be replacing an expensive part.

Note: this is near in the same location for the traction control switch. More recently my traction control was not working correctly. Over a few days, I altered the switch position (on/off) many times. Traction control issue disappeared. This indicates the switch may have had some temporary electrical connection issue, due to never being used. As I do not turn the system off.

There could be a computer issue, that if reset or cleared would resolve your problems. You should be able to get this checked at your next service, or have a mechanic with an analyser unit check it for you sooner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey thanks very much, i will look into that. i did a vcds scan last night and between the abs, cent.elec, canbus,steering assist. i have a fault code 01314 telling me no communication. im assuming possible ecu relay. now i have to find it

·
Super Moderator
9,220 Posts
VAG Error Code: 01314

Fault Location:
Engine Control Module (ECM) - No Signal/Communication/Implausible Signal

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

CAN-Data Bus Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Engine Control Module (ECM) faulty.
Fault(s) stored in Engine Control Module (ECM).
Engine Control Module (ECM) recently flashed or re-mapped.

Possible Solutions:
Check CAN-Data Bus Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Engine Control Module (ECM).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
Usually Measuring Value Blocks (MVB) 125+ show the current Communication Status.
Check Data Bus Chapter 90-9.
Skoda-Fabia 2000-Electrical.pdf

Special Notes:
When found in a 2005 through 2007 2.5L NAR (North American Region) (1K) Jetta check the T121/62 (Red/Black) traced power wire to the ECM. If power is missing or a voltage drop is present that wire may be damaged anywhere between 6" and 18" from the connector itself. This will result in no communication in addition to a no-start.
Based on 2.5L Jetta feedback over the years a majority look like this example, however some are damaged further away per this example: with the close-up and distant views.

VAG Error Code: 01314

Fault Location:
Engine Control Module (ECM) - Check Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Memory

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

Fault(s) stored in Engine Control Module (ECM).

Possible Solutions:
Check Engine Control Module (ECM) for fault codes.

Special Notes:
Engine Control Module (ECM) stored a Code which influences other Control Modules Functionality.
To clear this Fault Code you will need to correct the Problem in the Engine Control Module (ECM) first.

As taken from my new Free EOBD II Error Codes software

1 - 9 of 9 Posts