VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I have noticed that Volkswagen USA has a couple different front-end versions that are being imported for the 2010 Golf, showing some minor differences in the upper and lower grill. They are:

1. The complete solid black upper and lower grill (by far the most common).
2. The complete solid black upper grill but the lower black grill having a chrome surround.
3. The upper black grill with a chrome horizontal edging on each slat but having a complete black lower grill with no chrome surround.

golf grill black.jpg all black upper and lower grill

golf grill.jpg chrome accents on upper grill (found this TDI Golf on eBay from a dealer in Florida)

golf full grill.jpg chrome surround on lower grill (it also appears to may have the upper grill chrome)

I have not actually seen one with both chrome accents yet besides this attached silver European auto show version. What first caught my attention to this was seeing a petrol version Golf at a dealer lot having the lower chrome surround, but it was not visible on any brochures. The salesman as usual did not have an answer.

Has anyone seen these versions or does anyone know why there are different versions?

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
The bottom one looks like it also has chrome accents on the upper grille. The JSW has chrome accents, the pics of Golfs and GTIs don't have chrome accents.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I'm not sure but the difference could be 2 vs. 4 door, highline trim vs. other. I'm pretty sure the TDI gets the all black grill. The GTI does not have chrome trim.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure but the difference could be 2 vs. 4 door, highline trim vs. other. I'm pretty sure the TDI gets the all black grill. The GTI does not have chrome trim.
well, like I said, these are real cars found here in the states. The red one is a TDI (highline or otherwise does not apply for the states) but its got the chrome accents and the one I saw in person at a dealership which had the lower chrome accent was a petrol version.

It almost seams that VW Germany has no consistency or they are running out of parts and pulling them from other countries stock, which may have the chrome accents as standard equipment.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I thought all TDI were the same trim in the US? That must be the difference, the TDI may get chrome and the other was a gasoline one. IIRC, someone said their car had a carbon fiber trim on 1 door panel and the rest had silver trim!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought all TDI were the same trim in the US? That must be the difference, the TDI may get chrome and the other was a gasoline one. IIRC, someone said their car had a carbon fiber trim on 1 door panel and the rest had silver trim!
ah, but all these are TDI's in the photos above. Actually from what I have seen in person or online of current stock 99% of all TDI Golfs AND gas Golfs are all black upper and lower grills.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts