VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the proud new owner of a 2005.5 Jetta TDI. I am interested in doing some upgrades to the vehicle and can't seem to find the straight answers. I have searched and searched and become overwhelmed with information.
I have the full MFD and have an in dash CD player w/o aux or IPOD controls.
I would like to add a VW head unit with Satellite radio, IPOD control and Bluetooth. Is this possible and if it is what do I need to purchase?
Also can I add the E FMA module to gain the additional gauges? If so what do I need to purchase?
I do not currently have bluetooth, sat radio or steering wheel controls.

Thank you for your help

Mike

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
You'll find most answers on vwnavi.com. But regarding the e-mfa, it runs on the same pins as the BT modules. They will not coexist or play nice. You have to choose.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Start with the base: since you want ipod control, you probably want a 2010+ style radio. These have built in SD card input for music and can also control an MDI media device interface which controls the ipod. The 05-09 radio has an ipod dock but it'll only fit in the center armrest so unless you already have the 6cd changer, not worth adding. You could take apart the guts, stick it in glovebox, and add wiring but imho, if you're giong to that much trouble, just add the mdi.

You want a bluetooth that is from the 2009, the 2010+ white display ones won't work on your car.

You also need all the retrofit wiring, this can be purchased online.

Steering wheel controls will require the steering wheel and may require a new steering wheel control module. See the FAQ on how to add these.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am the proud new owner of a 2005.5 Jetta TDI. I am interested in doing some upgrades to the vehicle and can't seem to find the straight answers. I have searched and searched and become overwhelmed with information.
I have the full MFD and have an in dash CD player w/o aux or IPOD controls.
I would like to add a VW head unit with Satellite radio, IPOD control and Bluetooth. Is this possible and if it is what do I need to purchase?
Also can I add the E FMA module to gain the additional gauges? If so what do I need to purchase?
I do not currently have bluetooth, sat radio or steering wheel controls.

Thank you for your help

Mike
If I were you i'd look for a used RCD-510 and MDI. An RCD-510 has a built in satellite radio turner and SD card slot. You should be able to find one for around $400. An MDI usually runs about $250 on ebay and you can get a multitude of cables for various devices.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a couple of questions... I have a 2005.5 package 1 (non sat) Jetta with the Premium 7 six disc changer and MIX button.

I just acquired a MFD2 DVD new for a great price which sadly didn't come with the GPS antenna. I purchased a new GPS antenna and it should be here in a couple of days. My question is did the MFD2 ship with an antenna or not or was it not required in the SAT cars it came in? The dealer had no idea what I was talking about regarding adding and installing the GPS antenna behind the dash as I have seen in many postings. I'm frankly not surprised but I want to make sure I am on the right track.

So, once this comes in, I plan on doing the "plug and play" installation. Once that is complete, I will update the firmware (thank you for posting the download link) so that I can play CD's in a pinch in the DVD drive. I also plan on ordering a version (is 2B fine?) of the Nav DVD when I get around to it.. no rush.

Correct so far?

Finally, if I want to run the Navigation DVD and listen to CD's I need to add a six disc CD changer...where would this be installed on my car? In the glove box or armrest? Which model changer do I need and is there a bracket involved?

Great forum and I appreciate any help here. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
It came with the sharkfin antenna for GPS. Buy an aftermarket antenna and stuff it under the dash vent. I've been meaning to add pcitures, hold a few days and if I forget, post a reminder.

You can install the 6cd anywhere but the OEM installation is under the armrest. If it were my car, I'd get an aux jack off ebay and use it with a cheap mp3 player. Works fine. If you still want 6cd, get a used console off ebay w/media bay cutout and add the retrofit harness and the cd changer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great thanks for the reply. I figured the cars came with that antenna and that is kind of what the dealer told me. They had no clue about the Fakra antenna... I suppose unless they have done this before they wouldn't need to know. The only thing that concerns me is they have no idea where to mount the antenna inside the car. I said "behind the ash" but I'm afraid that won't be clear enough for them. (it is magnetic correct?)

I have been using ipods since they first came out and I'm fine with doing that. It seems like the best solution.

Am I correct in assuming that if I add the $30 or so genuine VW 3.5 ipod cable (wire that comes with several pieces..the link escapes me) that it renders the CD playing capabilites useless on the MFD2?
Would this ipod connector go into the Aux port on the back of the MFD2? (I know it comes with instructions but I thought I would ask)

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you have more information on the specific adapter that you bought? I see a bunch on ebay but I'm not sure which one is the right one to buy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts