VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
continued from part 1: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/paddle-shifter-steering-wheel-swap.htm

For the b7 NA Passat, see this post: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f26/installing-v6-sel-steering-wheels-paddle-shifters-tdi-sel-premium-12699/

Procedure to swap your steering wheel on mk5 or mk6 VW Jetta or Golf

Before doing anything, also figure out if you have a MFSW capable SW control module and its compatibility with your clockspring. If the car previously had a MFSW you have one. If you're not sure, plug in your VCDS and enter control module "steering wheel". Look at the part number and compare it to the ones listed above. Although you shouldn't need the radio security code unless you physically remove the radio, you may want it handy.

1. WARNING - Make sure the car ignition is off and disconnect the negative terminal on the car battery before doing any work. After disconnecting the battery, turn the ignition key to "ON" and step on the brake pedals a few times to discharge any stored electricity. You have to remove the steering wheel airbag and accidental deployment could result in serious injury or damage to property. Always wear a static electricity grounding strap when handling an airbag, plug, or wires. Even a static electricity discharge could set off the airbag. If you don't have a grounding strap, touch a bare metal ground on the car before and while touching the airbag or wires to discharge any small static electricity. See the TOS Agreement for the full legal disclaimer.

2. Unhook the air bag from the steering wheel. Release the steering column lock and adjust it towards you. Turn the steering wheel 90o to the left or right and look above and behind the steering wheel. Stick a flat screwdriver through the slot in the back of the steering wheel to release one of the metal loops on the airbag hooked around the tab on the steering wheel. These are highlighted below. Feel around for the top of the loop and then pry the loop down to get it around the tab on the steering wheel. Gently pull the airbag towards you and you'll feel it gently release. Turn the steering wheel to the other side and release the loop on the other side.

Here you can see the dual wire airbag harness. The single purple wire was shown in the Parts section.

2a. Sometime during the mk6 production, they changed the airbag clips slightly. Make sure to read this post with pictures for the newer style.

3. Touch a bare metal ground to discharge any static charge and then unplug the airbag connector. The lock slides back to unlock the plug, then remove the plug. If you have another plug at the bottom for the buttons, release that too. *Some cars may have 2 airbag plugs and later cars may have single purple plugs. The clear plastic thing that the airbag harness plugs into is the clockspring. This is a wire harness wound in a loop so that it can maintain contact with the steering wheel as it rotates. *Side note - the steering wheels have Fe Mg stamped on them which I assume means iron-magnesium. My total guess is that this alloy was chosen because of weight, cost, and ease of casting over aluminum or steel.

4. Use a 12mm triple square (specific to many VW/Audi, not a torx), to remove the center bolt from the steering wheel (can be seen in the above picture). The bolt can be reused a maximum of 5 times only. Before removing the wheel, make sure it's centered. There should be an alignment notch on the steering wheel and column.

5a. If you have a Jetta or Rabbit aka. Golf with a MFSW capable SW control module, the new wheel is plug-play. If you are adding paddle shifters or MFSW buttons you have to change the SW control module code using VCDS so it knows you added buttons. See some example codes at the bottom of the page.

5b. If you don't have a MFSW capable SW control module and just want to swap the steering wheel it's plug-play. If you are adding MFSW buttons or paddle shifters and want them to work you'll need a new SW control module and then you must change the code using VCDS. Follow the below steps if you have a mk5. If you have a mk6, the steering wheel control module is at the bottom of the steering wheel and is visible once you remove the airbag. Make sure to read all of this thread before attempting to do this swap or buying parts.

Removing the steering wheel control module (only needed if you don't have a MFSW capable SW control module, otherwise ignore these steps)

6b. After the steering wheel is off, gently pry the upper steering wheel column trim up. Other articles say to remove it completely but I suggest leaving the vinyl part attached to the dashboard and just releasing the column part. Remove the 2x T25 torx screws in the front and 1 underneath. Remove the lower trim. Here you can see the wound wire inside the clockspring. Do not rotate the clockspring or else the ribbon cable inside could become too short.

7b. Remove the T9 torx screw (it's definitely not a 2mm allen, 2.5mm allen, or T10) in the front and insert a 2.5mm thick or 1/8 drill bit in the hole shown above right by the yellow arrows. Push it in while wiggling it to move the plastic clip to the left and release the front of the module.

Use a finger or mini screwdriver to press the rear clip (green arrows) towards the front of the car to release.

Unplug the wires and plug in the new MFSW capable (or newer version) control module.

Procedure continued
8. Make sure the steering wheel is perfectly centered. Check the alignment stamp marks as shown above. Torque the steering wheel's 12mm triple square bolt to 37 ft-lbs. Put the airbag back and reconnect the battery. Again, touch a bare metal ground to discharge any static electricity before touching the airbag plugs or wires!

9. If you are adding buttons, put in the new airbag wiring harness with the plugs for the buttons. If you are just swapping the steering wheel or already have a MFSW, skip this step.

10. Because you disconnected the battery, you have to reset the window pinch protection and steering adaptation calibrate the steering sensors. See 1000q: sensor and one touch window reset after battery disconnect for details. Start the engine and turn the wheel all the way to the left, hold it for 2 seconds, and all the way to the right, hold, and return to center. Very slowly drive forward for about 20 feet and stop. Wait for 2 seconds and shut off the car. Wait for 2 seconds and then start the car. The stability control light and steering wheel light should turn off after 5 seconds. If they do not, repeat the procedure. If the stability control and steering warning lights are still on, see the above link for detailed procedure on how to fix and check it. You also have to reset the memory power seat range if equipped. See 1000q:memory seats for more details.

11. You may also want to reset the level of power steering assist if you have a 2005.5-2006. See 1000q: adjust power steering assist for details. It was changed for 2007 and later cars.

MFSW capable SW control module coding with VCDS

Your new steering wheel control module must match your car's equipment for it to work as intended. Again, if you didn't add or subtract MFSW buttons or paddle shifters there's no need to change the code. My code for a manual transmission car with 3 spoke MFSW with full screen MFD+, cruise control and no rear wiper was: 0002021. Below are some more example codes - look at the list and determine which ones match your car. These exact codes are for earlier software versions (worked on my 2006) so refer to VCDS for the exact code for your module/software version.

* 0?xxxxx: Vehicle Type
o 0 = Normal
o 1 = Special Purpose (e.g., Taxi)
* 0x?xxxx: Transmission
o 0 = Manual Transmission
o 1 = Automatic Transmission
* 0xx?xxx: Steering Wheel
o 0 = Steering Wheel without Multifunction
o 1 = 3-Spoke Steering Wheel without Multifunction
o 2 = 3/4-Spoke Steering Wheel with Multifunction without Cruise Control
o 3 = 3/4-Spoke Steering Wheel with Multifunction with Cruise Control
* 0xxx?xx: Additional Equipment
o +1 = Tiptronic (Shift Paddles)
* 0xxxx?x: Board Computer / Cruise Control System (CCS)
o 0 = w/o Board Computer and w/o Cruise Control System (CCS)
o 1 = with Board Computer and w/o Cruise Control System (CCS)
o 2 = w/o Board Computer and with Cruise Control System (CCS)
o 4 = with Board Computer and with Cruise Control System (CCS)
* 0xxxxx?: Rear Wiper
o 1 = Rear Wiper not installed
o 2 = Rear Wiper installed

If you originally have an automatic transmission car without MFSW or shift paddles, and without MFD+, with cruise control, and no rear wiper the code should be: 0010021:

00xxxxx = normal vehicle type
0x1xxxx = automatic transmission
0xx0xxx = steering wheel w/o multifunction
0xxx0xx = no shift paddles
0xxxx2x = w/o MFD and w/ cruise control
0xxxxx1 = no rear wiper

If you have an automatic with 3 spoke MFSW without shift paddles, MFD, with cruise control, and no rear wiper the code should be: 0013021:

00xxxxx = normal vehicle type
0x1xxxx = automatic transmission
0xx2xxx = 3-spoke steering wheel w/ multifunction
0xxx0xx = no shift paddles
0xxxx2x = w/o MFD and w/ cruise control
0xxxxx1 = no rear wiper
VW changed the electric modules sometime before 2009. The codes for a 2009 - 2010 newer Jetta and Golf (and probably the 2011 and newer) are below.

To enter the code:
Figure out which code you need. Plug the VCDS cable into the obd2 port and start the software.

Click on "16- Steering wheel". Click on "Coding - 07". Enter your new software coding and click "Do It!". Click on coding again and make sure the new code is still there. You should also see it from this screen. Then close the controller and exit the software.

If you found differences in your steering wheel installation or retrofit, please update this article by posting a report below.

External links
Here are some external links which expand on some of these points
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/VW_Golf_(1K)_Steering_Assist#Adaptation reset steering wheel resistance
Ross tech wiki list of steering wheel control module compatibility

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for the awesome DIY!

I successfully installed my new R-Line wheel yesterday but am now fearing I jumped the gun on installation without properly researching the upgrade.

After reading the DIY and seeing that one MFSW to another should be plug 'n play, I didn't give much thought to any coding. Well, none of my buttons work now and I'm having trouble determining which code I should be using for the new wheel. I've contacted the seller from eBay to see if he might know, but I would hate to take the wheel back off to search for a number. I've looked over my Golf wheel to see if I can find a number for the control module, but nothing matches up with this list.

I'm thinking my code should be 0000532, but I'm not sure about the "Board Computer"

Any help is greatly appreciated! I have a 2010 Golf TDI 2 door, 6MT, RCD-510, no sunroof, no heated seats...

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hm....that mk6 to mk6 wheel should be plug-play unless you added or removed buttons or shifters that weren't there before. Since I don't see paddle shifters on that wheel it should have been plug-play.

Do you have a ross tech VCDS? If so, you should be able to see the part numbers under "Controller info" -->"VAG number". Your existing code is under "Soft coding".

I'm not sure about the board computer. Also see what error codes you have.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just pulled my airbag off again to make sure I only had one plug, and there is definitely just one yellow plug that snaps in above the clockspring. I checked the coding for my original wheel and it is 0000532.

Here are the fault codes:

Address 16: Steering wheel Labels: 1K0-953-549-MY9.lbl
Part No SW: 1K0 953 549 CF HW: 1K0 953 549 CF
Component: J0527 056 0111
Coding: 0000532
Shop #: WSC 01357 011 00200
VCID: 78D1201F72A1

1 Fault Found:
01426 - Controls in Steering Wheel (E221)
004 - No Signal/Communication
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 44: Steering Assist Labels: 1Kx-909-14x.lbl
Part No: 1K0 909 144 J
Component: EPS_ZFLS Kl. 69 3001
Revision: 00H17000
Shop #: WSC 01357 011 00200
VCID: 3147DD3BD15B

1 Fault Found:
03803 - Steering Angle Sensor for Steering Aid
000 - - - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
Battery Volts: 12.4 V
PD
Temperature: 15.0°C
Count: 2
Steering Angle: 0.00°
Count: 1
SteerAng n.Init

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Okay I think I might be missing a part/wire...

After studying the inside of the wheel, I've noticed there is no way the buttons can be communicating with the car. The two ribbon wires running down from each button housing on the sides of the wheel meet at a module below center where there are a few different ports. The most accessible of which, has nothing plugging in and running to the main yellow plug, as occurs on the original wheel. I don't see how the buttons can communicate with the car, since there seems to be no line for them to do so! I've searched the box the wheel was shipped in, and have found no loose cables.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I seem to be missing a secondary black wire that is shown in a picture from his eBay listing:

Hopefully this can be resolved easily :ugh

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bingo. If you look at the pictures of the MFSW and the single connector wire harness in part 1, you'll see the wire for the MFSW buttons. You are missing it. However, I don't see why you can't use the one from the old wheel just to get you up and running since it was also a MFSW.

Also, could you tell me what the part numbers are for the paddle shifters and Left and right MFSW buttons? It would be a nice addition to the FAQ.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Bingo. If you look at the pictures of the MFSW and the single connector wire harness in part 1, you'll see the wire for the MFSW buttons. You are missing it. However, I don't see why you can't use the one from the old wheel just to get you up and running since it was also a MFSW.
I thought about this and have taken a look at my old wheel, but am already very timid with these explosive airbags lol. My original wheel also looks a bit different, and has the blue connector which is a newer loom from what I've read (3c8971584A). The incomplete purple harness is 5k0971584A. Do you know for sure if the whole wiring loom will work with the other airbag? I'm also hoping to sell my stock wheel in mint condition, so maybe I can just buy the older harness... I think the go for about $60.

Also, could you tell me what the part numbers are for the paddle shifters and Left and right MFSW buttons? It would be a nice addition to the FAQ.
These wheels are for my 6MT, so I have no DSG paddles, sorry. I don't see any part number stickers on the R-Line wheel, but have some for the Golf wheel...

Left Buttons: 3C8.959.537.D
Right Buttons: 3C8.959.538.F

·
Registered
75 Posts
Update:

The black wiring connector for the buttons does not fit in the R-line wheel. That is to say, 3C8971584A loom does not seem to be compatible with a 5K0971584A loom equipped wheel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Doing a similar project. Any issue btw the single airbag plug being yellow vs purple? Also I'm planning on de-evolving my mk6 wheel and putting blanks in for the buttons. Dies any one know if my harness will work with out the mf buttons plugged in? The original wheel is the 4 spoke nmfsw. I'm hoping all the important wires are in the same spot on the harness and the control module won't even know they were there.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Doing a similar project. Any issue btw the single airbag plug being yellow vs purple? Also I'm planning on de-evolving my mk6 wheel and putting blanks in for the buttons. Dies any one know if my harness will work with out the mf buttons plugged in? The original wheel is the 4 spoke nmfsw. I'm hoping all the important wires are in the same spot on the harness and the control module won't even know they were there.
I've never heard of de-evolving the button but I don't see why it won't work. Yes, the wiring is the same.

Single aribag plug - they must have changed it for the mk6, if the colors of the wires are the same it should be OK. VW tends to use the same wires but sometimes not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I may decide to upgrade the sw controller and VAGCOM the car later but for now I don't mind operating the MFD with the stalk. My main goal is getting a nice wheel in the car (would have prefered to buy a mk5 or mk6 non-mfsw). As for the wiring that's good news. Here is a picture of the airbag plug on a 09/10 Mk6 MFSW. I'm hoping that it's recognized just the same but given folks have been doing the mk5 to mk6 swap I would be the first with a purple to yellow plug.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So what are your thoughts on the different single plugs? The wires are different colors but should work , right? Also if I got a sw control module from a 2010 golf/cc/passat can I expect full functionality even though mine is a 07?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not sure about the plugs, any error codes and you'll know if it's compatible or not.

Off the top of my head I believe it will work but refer to the ross tech list of steering wheel control modules as a back up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Please, I'm from Brazil, and I have a 2010 Jetta with MFSW like this one:

I wanna swap this steering wheel for other with the same look, but with tiptronic that my car doesn't have.
I have a doubt about the code, because my car have a microfone switch but no PTT, only mute function
So, I consider with PTT code because have this switch or without PTT code because this switch in my car is only a mute switch?
Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Please, I'm from Brazil, and I have a 2010 Jetta with MFSW like this one:

I wanna swap this steering wheel for other with the same look, but with tiptronic that my car doesn't have.
I have a doubt about the code, because my car have a microfone switch but no PTT, only mute function
So, I consider with PTT code because have this switch or without PTT code because this switch in my car is only a mute switch?
Thanks in advance.
Not sure. Do you have access to a VCDS or other tool which can change the mode code? If so it's just a matter of trying a few codes to see which works. Try posting this question in the VCDS section, they may have a better idea: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f24/

1 - 20 of 116 Posts