VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm just wondering how many motor mounts my 2006 Jetta Tdi has. I looked on rockauto and found many different motor mounts such as front upper, front lower etc. How many do I need just for the motor? Cheers!

·
Premium Member
2006 Jetta (BRM), 5 speed
18 Posts
I believe there are three, technically. One on each side. Passenger side is visible near the coolant reservoir - this you have to remove to do a timing belt; driver's side, referred to as a Transmission Mount, is under the battery tray, it mounts the transmission side of the motor; and finally you have the transmission pendulum (sometimes called "dog bone") mount - this is found on the bottom of the motor towards the down pipe. There is also a Transmission Support that mounts to the upper Transmission Mount, which I mentioned is below the battery tray.

Here are two pictures from the Bentley manual

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Why are you replacing them may I ask? I also have an '06 and I've removed all three of my mounts for various work (timing belt for one, and clutch replacement for other two). In all cases I only replaced the hardware when I reinstalled them (courtesy of kits from KermaTDI). While I love rock auto, and I use it for my other project vehicle, I don't trust it for critical things like motor mounts. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why are you replacing them may I ask? I also have an '06 and I've removed all three of my mounts for various work (timing belt for one, and clutch replacement for other two). In all cases I only replaced the hardware when I reinstalled them (courtesy of kits from KermaTDI). While I love rock auto, and I use it for my other project vehicle, I don't trust it for critical things like motor mounts. Just my two cents.
I would like to replace them because I'm noticing a lot of shake and vibration coming from the engine. Sometime I'll just be sitting in neutral with the parking brake on and the car it will vibrate a little. I noticed that the rpms stay consistent the entire time, so I think the motor mounts are the culprit. I was told by one of my more mechanically (than me) inclined buddies that it is most likely the motor mounts. That's why I'd like to replace them, thanks!

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
I posted another response before this one, with descriptions of the mounts and pictures from the Bentley manual, and of course it's waiting moderator approval.

To answer your last response - and someone else can correct me here - these are solid motor mounts. Replacing them will NOT solve what you're describing. It sounds like to me that your DMF (read: dual mass flywheel) may need replaced. Try this: with the motor idling, push in the clutch, does the vibration lessen?

Solid motor mounts, unlike ones that are make of poly something or other, do not prevent shake. It's a diesel, it's going to be a bit rattly. I would venture an educated guess that your issue lies elsewhere than the mounts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I posted another response before this one, with descriptions of the mounts and pictures from the Bentley manual, and of course it's waiting moderator approval.

To answer your last response - and someone else can correct me here - these are solid motor mounts. Replacing them will NOT solve what you're describing. It sounds like to me that your DMF (read: dual mass flywheel) may need replaced. Try this: with the motor idling, push in the clutch, does the vibration lessen?

Solid motor mounts, unlike ones that are make of poly something or other, do not prevent shake. It's a diesel, it's going to be a bit rattly. I would venture an educated guess that your issue lies elsewhere than the mounts.
The shaking itself doesn't happen quite often. It happens once in a grand while. I hear a noise difference when engaging the clutch, but that's about it. The car has 226,000 miles and I have no maintenance records besides the clutch being replaced in may. I bought the car in August.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another thing to mention as well is that when it does happens it feels more like a small constant shake. Like the whole car shakes a little.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Gotcha. Well hard to say. If the clutch was replaced, surely the flywheel too (I hope). If they re-used the transmission mount bolts, those could be a culprit. Because the mounts are aluminum, the bolts are not too be raisere-used. There's a way to check that your motor is in the right location (generally it's parallel between the motor mount surfaces). Hard not knowing specifics from a prior owner, or feeling what another TDI is like. Bolts could be loose... I'd check over them in all three locations

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gotcha. Well hard to say. If the clutch was replaced, surely the flywheel too (I hope). If they re-used the transmission mount bolts, those could be a culprit. Because the mounts are aluminum, the bolts are not too be raisere-used. There's a way to check that your motor is in the right location (generally it's parallel between the motor mount surfaces). Hard not knowing specifics from a prior owner, or feeling what another TDI is like. Bolts could be loose... I'd check over them in all three locations
Will do. Thanks so much for all of the information.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts