VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently suffered from a low boost pressure issue with my 2006 Jetta Tdi. I would floor in 5th gear get up to about 65 75 highway speed then the car would going into limp mode. It threw the p0299 low boost code. I rented a vac kit fearing the worst, but it turned out to be a cracked hose going from the n75 to the turbo actuator. I cut off the bad end and threw her back on, it holds boost beautifully. It hits harder than when I bought it in August. But, now I suffer from a huge turbo lag, very noticeable in first gear. It will seem pretty normal till about 2500 rpm then the turbo boost hits like a freight train. Should I just buy a spool of line and replace all of the vac lines? I'm taking a guess that the line is the culprit considering that is the only thing that changed. Some input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Update: turns out I've been suffering from a misaligned stop screw on the actuator. Did the zip tie mod with a stainless steel cable tie and works like a charm. Thanks fellas.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
2006 Brms are notorious for turbo lag. Especially if you have the a/c on. Exhaust is really restrictive. I deleted my egr and gutted exhaust when I replaced the turbo with a Pd turbo with no actuator. Big improvement on the lag.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
My 2006 has stock exhaust, and has little turbo lag. I have a boost gauge, and it is very responsive. Something is definitely wrong if you have bad lag. You'll need to get VCDS on it and pinpoint the problem. My turbo actuator went bad - in that situation you have no boost. :) But I successfully replaced it.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Leaky vac lines are definitely a common issue for all TDIs. Another common problem is wear at the joint of the actuator rod end. It can get very sloppy and prevent the actuator from getting the turbo vanes to the proper angle. If there is a lot of wear, you have to replace the actuator, or do the zip-tie mod.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Leaky vac lines are definitely a common issue for all TDIs. Another common problem is wear at the joint of the actuator rod end. It can get very sloppy and prevent the actuator from getting the turbo vanes to the proper angle. If there is a lot of wear, you have to replace the actuator, or do the zip-tie mod.
I did the zip tie mod with a stainless steel cable tie and she works like a charm. Thanks for the suggestion, I really appreciate it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts