VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello VW Owners,

I have a 2006 MK5 Jetta SE TDI with 81,000 miles or about 131,000 kilometers on it. I purchased the vehicle used with an additional 25,000 miles (40,000 KM) or two year warranty; which ever comes first.

I currently have 5000 miles remaining on the warranty and am interested in getting every possible repair/preventative maintenance completed before warranty expires.

As per myturbodiesel, I have read up extensively on the valve camshaft and lifter wear problem with BRM Pumpe Duse engines and am certain my car has at least one worn lobe. Furthermore, from my understanding a new camshaft is nearly a $1000.00 if not greater!

My question is how likely do I have this problem with my car? If I got the dealership to do an inspection would warranty cover this part? And how much estimated labor hours would go into the inspection?

Finally, the camshaft is a major concern of mine, but does anyone else know any major problems that I could potentially get corrected before the Pre-Loved warranty expires? Again my car has 81,000 miles.

Any additional information on "common VW MK5 Jetta TDI BRM QGG vehicle problems" would be much appreciated!

Thanks for taking the time to look!

ROVERTTDI

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

Strange username from someone in Canada who drives a Jetta TDI?

Well first of the timing belt should be changed at 80k if you haven't had one done.

Camshaft and follower wear is common if you read threads on here. I don't know if its more common on some engine codes.

As for getting the dealer to check for camshaft wear I'm sure they would but you couldn't claim for that on your special warranty unless they found it to be worn so you would have to pay for the inspection.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Obviously they won't cover the camshaft if they can help it since it doesn't help their bottom line. Tell the dealer you have a rough idle and watch the videos in the writeup.

Why are you certain that it's got at least one worn lobe?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Engine idle is pretty noisy. My father had a 2006 Jetta TDI BRM of course and I do not recall such loud engine idle. Sounds quite similar to video posted on camshaft lobe wear.

Thanks for getting back to me.

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
Well first of the timing belt should be changed at 80k if you haven't had one done.
Well I suppose thats a typical user you ask a question and don't get an answer.

I was going to ask if the cam was noisy.

You take it to the dealer for the cam inspection (which you will have to pay for) if its worn then you contact your warranty company and see it they are going to pay?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definitely will do.

One last question; is it common for 2006 MK5 Jetta TDI to have built up carbon deposits in the exhaust manifold?

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
What do you think, thats where the exhaust gas flows through so it bound to have carbon deposits in it over that mileage?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just did a camshaft inspection myself by following the DIY, turns out the left lobe on #2 is worn, 90 degree edge, and #4 right lobe is developing wear as well. I can say that the wear is minor but nevertheless the lobes are out of alignment with the camshaft and are wearing.

I put it all back together, runs fine, still with that rapping noise. Time to go to the dealer and ask for an inspection for them. Hopefully they will discover the same evidence I found without knowing about my inspection.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Regarding the wear on cam lobe #2 and #4, visual wear patterns are not always an indication of problems. I would mount a dial indicator and take a lift reading on every rocker to see if the visual wear shows as a decreased peak lift on the dial indicator. The dealer would have a hard time backing down from a quantitative measurement, if there was anything remaining on your warranty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts