VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Help, I am new to the TDI and VW in general. As I posted previously the engine mount bracket ears broke off my '06 TDI's block (top rear) and accessory mount bracket. I have gathered what I believed was the needed parts including:Dieselgeek block repair kit, new/different eng. mounting bracket, middle timing belt cover, all stretch bolts, VW coolant (Pentofrost) and began the job. I am taking a break now and wondering if anyone out there has ever done or seen this repair done, particularly; 1. without a lift ie w/ramps, jack stands, engine suspension bracket & floor jack? 2. If this job can be done w/o removing or at least disconnecting the exhaust collector? 3. should all gaskets & bolts for the egr be replaced w/new on reassembly? Any actual MK5 pictures, diagrams, shortcuts, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have the Bently Service Manual for '05 - '10 Jetta' s but details of the egr removal/replacement are lacking. Thanks, Mike

This is a final note on the block repair job: I completed the repair after obtaining all the required parts and fully removing the exhaust collector/catalytic converter pipe, the old passengers side engine mount & mounting brackets, and the egr cooler from the back of the engine. This was quite a job and required supporting the engine from above & below, clamping off the egr coolant hoses and removing/unbolting a # of peripheral items including; coolant expansion tank, fuel filter housing, the windshield washer fill tube, the passengers side fender-well liner and obviously the belly pan and engine cover. The Dieselgeek Van gogh kit is a real life saver but still required significant modification to work with my 2006 Jetta TDI, The supplied long mounting bolt required shortening @ 1/2" and the catalytic converter/ collector pipe mounting bracket has to be cut apart at welds and adjusted to make space for the added thickness of the Van Gogh bracket and then re-welded. I am also using the "new block mounting bracket shown by chitty as my rear mounting point broke off the engineas well as the front mounting point braking off the accessory mounting bracket ( thanks to the "VW specialty" garage in PA that installed the timing belt kit and effed up the rest of the job, and hopefully nothing else) The new timing belt has 8,000 + miles on it and seems fine. My Dieselgeek block repair has @ 2,000 mi and seems fine so far. In summary this was a PITA job but beats the hell out of a new block. . I am guessing that between all the major parts: Van Gogh Kit, New engine mount bracket, misc parts: mounting bolts, exhaust pipe clamps, egr cooler gaskets, turbo gaskets, coolant hose clamps, etc. this was a $350.00 job. Wish I could have gotten some decent pictures but between ramps, floor jacks, dirt grease and frustration I failed to document the job. I will try to do a better job next time as pictures would have been a great help many Thanks for all the help and how to info on the index it was in some cases more useful than the Bentley manual. Thanks again, Mike

·
Registered
52 Posts
You have to at least support the engine since you're removing the engine mount. Make sure it won't budge since you're sticking your hands donw there.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Engine is supported by a aluminum beam suspended between the fenders/strut towers. Engine mount is out, egr cooler has all bolts removed but looks like even with coolant hoses off the front exhaust pipe w/cat must also come out and maybe even the turbo's oil return/support tubr. The exhaust support bracket will have to be modified to allow for the dieselgeek repair brackets thickness as it uses the same upper bolt hole as bracket.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts