VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am new to tdi's but i was told not to use K&N air filters because they are not good for the car.
I used to have two hondas and always got k&n air filters but is this true that tdi should only use stock or other brand regular filters.thanks

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
They're not recomended and not benificial either apparently, the best thing if anything is just an upgraded panel filter that fits in the regular airbox and even that wont make any odds unless you're getting an extreme tune.:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi thanks for the reply...whats a upgraded panel filter ad what do you mean a extreme tune ..not sure about the tdi language..thanks

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The same air filter on your 140hp engine is also used on the 170 TDI engine and 245hp R36 Golf engine. Yes there will be less pumping restriction but it really makes no difference because of how the engine management is set up. Is the air filter a bottleneck? Not by a long shot. IMHO, stick with stock.

Even if you add a tune and get up to 170 hp your money is better spent elsewhere. I personally do not recommend them but it's your car and I won't chastise anyone for buying one. VW mass air flow sensors have also proven to be very sensitive to contamination.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
We get these green cotton panel filteers over here but like chitty says, there not much help. Tuning is where someone remaps the ecu to give the car more power or basically alters the settings in the ecu with different timing, fuel quantity, turbo etc. The ecu has a standard map produced by vw but it can be over written with a new map.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts