VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all
I keep finding contradicting threads about gearbox oil changes on a mk5 Golf manual 5 speed.

when I drained box, I also took filler plug out and about 1/8 litres came out of the fill plug, I thought it may have been engine oil but a quick sniff confirmed gl4.

so, gearbox oil level was above the oil filler plug hole by some way!. I’ve no reason to believe this has ever been emptied as I’m 2nd owner from new.

some threads suggest reverse light switch should be removed to top up boxes further, but I can’t find the definitive answer!

should I fill to dribble in main 17mm hex plug filler, or remove reverse switch and stick a bit more in to cover 5th gear?

many thanks for your guidance

·
Super Moderator
8,991 Posts
As I've posted in your intro, please read again?

This is a new forum layout with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or or original similes. It doesn't show the car spec/location or signature properly either

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a pole which no one has posted in, there are a few votes but no comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 03/2007-07/2009, Model: Golf/Variant/4Motion, Engine Code: BXE, 77Kw, 105PS, 1.9 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection Pumpe Düse (TDI-PD) 8v Timing belt
Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 02/2006-11/2008, Model: Golf/Variant/4Motion/R32, Engine Code: BXE, 77Kw, 105PS, 1.9 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection Pumpe Düse (TDI-PD) 8v Timing belt

What is the engine code of your BXE?

Data Sticker/Options Sticker and Engine Codes

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, Keith.

i think I’ve nailed the info I need:

I need to under the gearbox drain plug, put selector arm pin in, then drain more from the second drain plug on box which holds the pivot arm, then remove filler.

I then, once emptied fill 1.7litres via the reverse gear switch on top of the box

·
Super Moderator
8,991 Posts
03-08 Golf 1.9 TDI-PD BXE.

AD shows a few picture for the manual gearbox drain/refill. One picture show refill from the reversing light switch.

0A4 gearbox 1.7-1.9 litres
02S gearbox 1.9-2.1 litres

Press and hold the selector shaft.
Press rod A it shows a picture and turn clockwise until it engages and locks selector shaft.
Drain oil by removing drain plug and then the selector shaft pivot pin.
After draining the oil release selector shaft and turn rod A to its original position.

Drain plug torque 30Nm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, Keith.

i think I’ve nailed the info I need:

I need to under the gearbox drain plug, put selector arm pin in, then drain more from the second drain plug on box which holds the pivot arm, then remove filler.

I then, once emptied fill 1.7litres via the reverse gear switch on top of the box
gentleman, thank you for the confirmation
BesJoe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts