VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this community! I recently picked up a 2005 jetta tdi wagon with the BEW engine code. It's been wonderful to drive but on my way home from work today I was doing a little spirited driving and noticed under WOT the car would smoke a little. It's not significant but enough to worry me a little bit. It's definitely oil burning. What would be my first few steps to take?
The car idles great and builds boost and holds so im a little lost as to where to start

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, check to see how much oil you’re consuming between oil changes. Oil could be a few things, one being oil residue sitting in the inter cooler and intake track being sucked under full throttle. second it’s crankcase pressure building up from boost getting past valve seals and guides. Both are common and you can drive it for many miles with either. easiest way stop the smoke is a catch can for the breather. This will keep the oil out of your intake track and not burn as much. Another way to fix it is Have the head rebuilt with new valve guides and seals.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, check to see how much oil you’re consuming between oil changes. Oil could be a few things, one being oil residue sitting in the inter cooler and intake track being sucked under full throttle. second it’s crankcase pressure building up from boost getting past valve seals and guides. Both are common and you can drive it for many miles with either. easiest way stop the smoke is a catch can for the breather. This will keep the oil out of your intake track and not burn as much. Another way to fix it is Have the head rebuilt with new valve guides and seals.
I Appreciate it man! I have a few maintenence things to replace this weekend so I'll pull off the intercooler piping this weekend and have a look to see if I have some buildup in there

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I pulled off the intercooler piping today and found a pretty normal amount of oil in the charge pipes and the intercooler(Like a table spoon at best) but I found that the pipe running from the turbo compressor outlet was super loose. I haven't gotten far enough to check for play in the compressor shaft but could the loose pipe be the cause for smoke under WOT?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes definitely. Since you say you are at WOT is it safe to say you are experiencing loss of power? If yes, that loose pipe would be culprit. And since you are already in there check all hoses/pipes for cracks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts