VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a few newbie questions......
The autotranny fluid of my 04 tdi wagon has not been changed since new. Is too late to change it at 145k (kms)? I have no issues so far with the tranny, all gears shift smooth. I am a bit reluctant to touch the trannny without any issues and get in to a mess. it happend to me on my passt B4 .... i never knew if the previous owner changed it.... I changed the fluid at 173k (kms) and the fiasco started....what are the member experiences?

next question: could i extract few liters of trannny fluid from the top filler tube (when it has cooled down overnight for 10 hours or so) and just replace the exact amount of fluid to keep it a bit fresh? i am knida hessitant to open it from the bottom.....

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...
FTDI

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
You are completely correct. While that's not huge miles and it's best to change all the fluid, it's perfectly acceptable to change it half now and half later. It would be good to change the filter too but if you're worried about the transmission slipping or leaking from the fresh detergents in the new fluid just dilute it. You're supposed to use a new filler cap every time but if you unclip it carefully you can reuse it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip.

I have decided and going to give a partial change. I guess I could use my PA fluid extractor and get some fluid out.

If I insert a plastic tubing through the filler pipe are there any circuit boards or anything similar on the passage to the bottom of the transmission pan? Would I hit anything?

Does anyone has a blow up on the transmission?

How much fluid is the standard filling amount after complete drain change?

Is there a specific Transmission fluid that goes in to he mk4 tip-tronic transmissions?
Is there a specific part number for this from VW?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts