VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 1.9 TDI MK11 Toledo and when I bought the car the turbo was disconnected. I removed the manifold and turbo, cleaned and freed the vanes. Once back together I checked the actuator with a vacuum tester and it worked perfectly and arm moved freely.

I connected all of the vacuum pipes, checked the N75 valve was working and tested the vacuum pump.

All working fine. I took the car for a drive and you could really feel the "boost" when taking off from a standing start, i.e in the lower revs. That was never there before. So all good and I decided to test it up a hill. I did so but just after I started the hill I could hear what sounded like the turbo give a massive boost and a noise then the car went into runaway. I have had a car before where the car went into runaway from a failed turbo and it was a proper runaway. It kept going for minutes until it killed itself and you could not see the car cause of the smoke around it.

In this instance, I removed the key it ran away for about 10-15 seconds then stopped. It produced a good bit of smoke but nowhere near a proper runaway.

I need to double check the oil seal on the turbo but I believe it has had the runaway from oil in the intercooler. Blown into the engine by the now performing turbo.

I have started removing the oil pan, (not fully removed as a I need a swivel 10mm for the last two bolts) and I have completed a compression test. The tool is a cheap enough tool but it should perform the same across all cylinders;

#1 380
#2 300
#3 300
#4 200

So I assume from this cylinders 3-4 have issues?
If I had read 300 in #4 would the car have started?

Could I have three bent rods in 2-4 from a 10-15 second runaway or could this be something else?

The car will crank on the starter but when I try to turn the engine manually on the crank bolt I can get almost half a turn before it wont turn any more. ( I am not using a breaker bar as the engine should turn using a simple ratchet and a bit of force?)

Thanks

Barry

·
Super Moderator
9,334 Posts
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

Any problems search TDI Wiki as that covers write ups and forum posts.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the continuation of the thread from my introduction

I have confirmed bent rods visually from below and the lifters are perfect so hoping no valves involved.

I have been offered an ALH engine that is of no use to someone for £50!
I assume rods and valves from an ALH will fit in an ASV engine but the pistons will not transfer?

I would try to use the complete ALH if it is still together and a runner. Is the block and head on an asv the same size as an alh, with the same fittings? I think they might be.
The second hand engine will have been stripped for some parts but block and head are intact. I have no guarantees with its state only a scrap yards word for it, and i do not know the reason the car ended up in the scrapyard,
it could have had its own runaway!

I wont really know till I open it up.

I know the compression on my asv was excellent pre runaway so would trust it more. Provided pistons and rings have not been damaged, can I just transfer rods?

·
Super Moderator
9,334 Posts
I have confirmed bent rods visually from below and the lifters are perfect so hoping no valves involved.
The rods are hydraulic valve lifters. You are changing to timing belt in your intro.

ALH is fitted to 18 VAG models.

Manufacturer: Seat, Date(s) Used: 03/1999-04/2001, Model: Toledo, Engine Code: ALH, 66Kw, 90PS, 1.9 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) Timing belt

Manufacturer: Audi, Date(s) Used: 08/1997-08/2000, Model: Audi A3/S3/Sportback/Limousine/Quattro, Engine Code: ALH, 66Kw, 90PS, 1.9 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) Timing belt
Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 06/2001-06/2004, Model: Bora, Engine Code: ALH, 66Kw, 90PS, 1.9 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) Timing belt
Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 05/1998-05/2000, Model: Bora/Variant/4Motion, Engine Code: ALH, 66Kw, 90PS, 1.9 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) Timing belt
Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 09/2000-06/2003, Model: Caddy, Engine Code: ALH, 66Kw, 90PS, 1.9 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) Timing belt
Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 06/2001-06/2004, Model: Clasico/Jetta, Engine Code: ALH, 66Kw, 90PS, 1.9 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) Timing belt
Manufacturer: Seat, Date(s) Used: 10/1999-05/2001, Model: Cordoba/Vario, Engine Code: ALH, 66Kw, 90PS, 1.9 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) Timing belt
Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 05/2001-04/2002, Model: Golf/Variant/4Motion, Engine Code: ALH, 66Kw, 90PS, 1.9 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) Timing belt
Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 05/2002-05/2006, Model: Golf/Variant/4Motion/R32, Engine Code: ALH, 66Kw, 90PS, 1.9 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) Timing belt
Manufacturer: Seat, Date(s) Used: 10/1999-05/2002, Model: Ibiza/ST, Engine Code: ALH, 66Kw, 90PS, 1.9 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) Timing belt
Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 11/1998-06/2004, Model: Jetta, Engine Code: ALH, 66Kw, 90PS, 1.9 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: USA ("USA"): Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) Timing belt
Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 05/1998-05/2000, Model: Jetta Variant, Engine Code: ALH, 66Kw, 90PS, 1.9 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) Timing belt
Manufacturer: Seat, Date(s) Used: 03/1999-04/2001, Model: Leon, Engine Code: ALH, 66Kw, 90PS, 1.9 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) Timing belt
Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 06/2001-06/2004, Model: New Beetle, Engine Code: ALH, 66Kw, 90PS, 1.9 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) Timing belt
Manufacturer: Skoda, Date(s) Used: 08/2000-03/2010, Model: Octavia, Engine Code: ALH, 66Kw, 90PS, 1.9 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI), EU3, Tour Timing belt
Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 10/1999-09/2001, Model: Polo Classic/Variant, Engine Code: ALH, 66Kw, 90PS, 1.9 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) Timing belt

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I am not sure I understand the reference to timing belt? I am not changing the timing belt but replacing bent rods.

The connecting rods are bent and it is these I need to replace. I can see no spider cracks or marks on the lifters so indicating at least for now that the valves may not have been hit.
I wont know for sure until I pull the head.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Most likely just the rods as it'll be due to trying to compress oil rather than contact with the valves.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are the bent rods.
https://flic.kr/p/2hxFVVs Here is the old head. See discolouration on 3 valves and it is all the smaller ones. These exhaust? I assume this discolouration is from heat?
https://flic.kr/p/2hxFWhE
Here is the head off the alh engine.
https://flic.kr/p/2hxKEDb
I am thinking of putting the alh head straight onto the asv block rather than swapping valves. They are the same on both engines. Going to swap the cooling attachment from the asv to the alh but before I do is there a gasket or sealant involved? Is it safe to assume the injectors on the alh block are OK and proceed?

Here are the rods from the alh and I will swap the pistons.
https://flic.kr/p/2hxKF9z
As mentioned some of the lifters were damaged but not visibly. The hydraulic part was killed. I assume from valves hitting them too fast and too often.

Anything I am missing or should be considering?

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts