VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently read an article about people cleaning up used oil and mixing it with diesel to create a "cheaper fuel". Is something like this possible with a 2000 Jetta TDI? What would be the cons, if any, with burning a 50/50 mixture of diesel and oil? I found this interesting and I just wanted to know if anyone in this forum has ever tried this. They claim it works!

·
Registered
68 Posts
You take the gamble that any money you save through cheaper fuel will be spent on repairs, the injection pump is made to work within certain specs and oil is too thick. An injection pump rebuild is about $500.

It'll work though, so will filtered veggie oil, used ATF, etc.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Yes it works, no I would not do it. The older VW diesels used different fuel injection systems. Generally speaking, the newer generation TDI, the less tolerant of fuel impurities it is. This is due to higher fuel injection pressures, finer injectors, and emissions controls.

A diesel can really run off many oils. Jet fuel, kerosene, etc.

·
Registered
32 Posts
ooooooo......don't do that. I don't think you can filter out all the fine particles so it would erode the fuel system like the pumps and such. Maybe in an old carbureted diesel?

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
NO No

I agree with everyone else. It is possible and the car will run on the used oil mixture, but I would not recommend it. I have ran some different mixtures in my 84 300sd, but it is more forgiving. The main risk with the TDI is with the Injection Pump.

I would not recommend- Used oil, ATF, Veggie oil, and any use of Biodiesel I would make sure it was well processed, filtered, and filtered again.

I made Bio for my 300sd and ran about 25% in the VW for a few tanks, but then decided I did not want to take the risk even though I new the Bio was good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think you can but reason why all the WVO systems oil up is to make it thinner so it goes through the injectors. I had a WVO system that sent WVO back to the diesel tank (unknowingly doing the same thing) because of a bad solenoid and it ran smokey and my fuel filter clogged and in winter I couldn't start.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts