VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have noticed the car has 2 missing screws for the intake air filter box .Can anybody tell me what is the replacement size ?

Also I have noticed a loose vacuum hose from the reservoir .I reconnected that but it might get loose again.
Question : is it practical/advisable to use some hose clamps or better replace the vacuum hoses .
The car is 2002 Jetta TDI.

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi

I have noticed the car has 2 missing screws for the intake air filter box .Can anybody tell me what is the replacement size ?

Also I have noticed a loose vacuum hose from the reservoir .I reconnected that but it might get loose again.
Question : is it practical/advisable to use some hose clamps or better replace the vacuum hoses .
The car is 2002 Jetta TDI.

Thanks
New hose is ungodly cheap (I redid all my hose, turbo run included, for $10+). Hose clamps (IME) can cut the end of hoses if overtightend. Take from that what you will as I am no magic expert.
Dunno about the screw size but if no-one answers by tonight (after work) I will look on my Jetta. I have the same car.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
vacuum hoses

Thanks dutchviking

Do you remember how much hose and what sizes does the replacement need?
Silicone or oem?
any online store you know to sell anything like that?

Regards

·
Registered
18 Posts
There is no typical difference between vacuum hose and washer pump hose (unless someone wants to correct me) I used 5/16" washer hose from CandianTire at $3.99 for 1m. I used less then 2m of it. Everything runs fantastic with excellent vacuum. The braiding is of zero value. I actually think the braiding on OEM actually causes faster and often invisible rub through. This is still all stated with my usual "I know nothing" disclaimer, but hey, its working fine for me currently.

I should mention that if you do this be advised that were the hose attaches to things like you EGR valve or EGR shutoff actuator, that hose will be "sticking" to the pipe from age. Its VERY easy to break those inlets by trying to pull the old hose off. I recommend cutting the pipe off the inlets carefully and then the new hose goes on in a cinch. There is some connections between the solonoids and the vacuum pump and the vacuum pump and break boost that are a larger diameter. I didn't replace those as I have yet to see it wear. The hoses behind the intake and down to the turbo actuator seem to vibrate and rub a lot, often leading to "invisible" rubs and frayed ends. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Rick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts