VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently replaced the left ext mirror on my 04 jetta because the aluminum rotted at the base, caused by our Quebec road salt.

I bought the new mirror from ebay, great replacement with blue glass for 23.95$. When I recieved it I went to canadian tire for some primer and matched paint, taped the new mirror all up and presto one nicely new painted mirror. To my surprise even though it was suppused to be a paint match, the color was slightly off.....

This is just to let eveyone know, that with a little patience, the mirror skin can be swaped from old to new mirror. This is done by removing the 2 screwes under the mirror, taking off the little panel, then gently taking the glass off, (with a small electrical screw driver gently pry the 2 - 3 plastic snap clips, then under the plastic base) then removing another 2 screwes that hold the skin to the aluminum, and voila. New mirror with old skin. (gently replace the glass by pressing in the center with pad of the hand, it just snaps back in)

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Don't worry about it, I'm exactly the same lol, I keep thinking it would be good to take some pics for other people then completely forget when I'm doing the work.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts