VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi folks ; i had an 1996 jetta standard that had 500,000 klicks plus and got roughlyu 850 k per tank. My newer jetta a 2006 (auto tipronic 5 speed ) only seems to get 650 klicks per tank . Is this what I should get with this car or should I lo0ok for a problem ? thank you all for any help.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
It seems to be that the newer tdi's get less than the older ones anyway, they're different engines. Your one is now a pd unit which gives more power etc but less mpg as far as I'm aware but you might be able to get it remapped for better milage, I'm not sure but it might be worth looking into.:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I'm confused, do you have an automatic transmission or a manual transmission on your 2006? If auto it's a 6 speed DSG, you can read more about them here in this FAQ article: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/DSG-faq-VW-Audi.htm

Auto gets less and the mk5 are the heaviest Jetta so far. The mk6 Jetta are lighter but things like the loss of the independent rear suspension made up a lot of that weight loss. I think 500 miles should be around the minimum unless you're doing all short trips and carrying heavy loads. My 5 speed gets at least 550/tank but I also drive slow. Winter fuel also gives you less mpg.

Some things you could check: fuel quality, tire pressure, how much stuff you carry, driving style, engine timing (see the FAQ for this article on adjusting camshaft timing), and some cars just get less mpg. Some tire brands get less mpg usually because they're stickier. And also check your parking brake adjustment (also in FAQ).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
-my mistake

sorry folks but I made a mistake this car is an 2004 5 speed automatic (tiptronic) not an 2006 dsg 6speed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
milage

I am driving mostly hiway at 120 k per hr. I did an oil change filteres tire pressure all ther obvioius things I think.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts