VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day out of the blue the dummy light comes on indicating my Throttle Valve Body is acting up. Drove home some 70km with no issues whatsoever except for the damn annoying Dummy light and hooked up my OBD2 to get a Po638 code P0638 Throttle Actuator Control Range/Performance B1. What the heck does that mean. After a little research it says to replace the Throttle Body or take it off and clean the carbon out of it. Ok but where in the heck is this unit located and how hard is it to get at? I also have not seen any degradation in performance, no loss of power or no other codes coming up.

Which brings me to my next question... Where does one purchase a good VW TDI repair manual. I'm finding when I take this car to the dealer, the service managers look at me like they just found a few garbage bags full of Ben Franklins!

Anyhow, any help is greatly appreciated..

2011 VW Golf TDI Sportwagen highline 2.0L 115,000 km. It's Canadian eh...

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Looks similar to this, bolted to the intake manifold and probably just needs a clean up. I there nothing coming up with google like youtube video links?

·
Super Moderator
8,969 Posts
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

VAG Error Code: 17022/001592/5308

EOBD II Error Code: P0638

Fault Location:
Throttle Body Actuator (J338), Bank 1 - Range/Performance Problem/Implausible Signal

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

Basic setting not carried out (if applicable).
Idle speed control (ISC) actuator/throttle motor.
Accelerator pedal position sensor.
Drive-by-wire control system malfunction.
Throttle valve malfunction.
Throttle Body Actuator (J338).
Powertrain Control Module (PCM) malfunction.

Possible Solutions:

Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).

Tech Notes:
Dirty or clogged throttle body can triggered the P0638 code. Before replacing any parts try cleaning the throttle body and reset the engine light.

Description:
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) compares the actual Throttle Position (TP) with the target TP when the engine is running. If the difference is more than the specification, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) determines that there is a throttle actuator control circuit range/performance problem.

As taken from my new Free EOBD II Error Codes software

1 - 3 of 3 Posts