VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm new here but I think I like it.

My 2005 Passat won't start, which I discovered immediately after transferring the title and putting the license plate on it from my old car. That's right. I have driven this car zero times since driving it home from the former owner's house. What a lovely drive it was! I'm hoping you guys can help me have another drive like that one. It has been extremely cold the last couple days, and as this car is brand new to me and I had to get the title and registration for it, it has been sitting in the cold those couple days. It does turn but ultimately no go. Then the "STOP oil press." message comes on the display. I have read some posts about people getting that message while they were driving and it often means very bad things. I tend to think though that the not starting problem is due to the cold and the "STOP" message is due to the trying to turn the engine several times. Does that sound right? Unfortunately, I don't currently have the luxury of a garage to keep the car warmer. Is there anything I can do to get it started in the cold? Things I should be mindful of? Should I be more worried about the oil pressure message?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse with any of this.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
It does sound like it.

Few things: check the VIN with dealer to see if it's had the glow plug update done. This is an extended warranty area, see this FAQ for long story: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/glow-plug-recall-PD-TDI.htm

It could be camshaft timing. In a pinch, you could remove the air hose right before the intake manifold and put a hair dryer on it for 10 minutes. It will warm up the intake manifold and head.

Also, see the new owner's checklist for some other things that you should be aware of on maintenance in addition to the owner's manual.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Learning...

The glow plugs are the originals. The previous owner didn't take "advantage" of the 2009 recall :)

That night I walked home with some insight after reading things on the forum. Even though it was in the negatives, I opted to walk straight to my car rather to than the warmth of my apartment. Sometimes I entertain the thought that simply enduring pain wields a better chance of success. I turned the key to "on" until the glow plug light went off, but then didn't try to start it right away. Instead I did this several times to further offset the heat-sink effect of the cold engine block. Not great for the battery, I know, but it started when I did turn it all the way. I had to start it yesterday morning the same way, but then the next 3 times I started it that day, it started up beautifully. Again this morning, it started a bit rough, but I got it to go. I would rather not keep doing this because it's bad for efficiency, emissions, my battery, and probably other parts of the car. How I wish I could park my car in a garage where I could plug in a block heater.

This is cool: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/3/HouseHome/2/Electrical/ProgThermostats/PRD~0522463P/Noma%252BBlock%252BHeater%252BCord.jsp?locale=en

·
Registered
2 Posts
mfain,
I may have a solution for you if it is glow plug related. There is a company in China Chongqing Le-Mark who makes ceramic glow plugs, the difference between them and NGK is they layer their ceramics and do not have a metal center electrode. If interested you can contact [email protected] and tell him make and model. He help a friend of mine as well.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
engine block heater pump, very nice thing to have for cold. Then you buy digital timer from Home Depot and set ON and OFF times for all 7 days if you like.
Did you try warming up glow plugs twice before cranking?

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
How do you warm up the glow-plugs before cranking? also what voltage should the wiring to the glow-plugs read?
Ignition key to ON, and wait for the glow plug light to turn off. Then ignition key back to off, then back to ON and wait for the glow plug light to turn off again, then try to start.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts