VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a 2006 Jetta 5 speed. It has the MFD+ display. The car has been parked the last 2 weeks due to snow, today the roads were clear & it got driven to work.
30 minutes into the drive the display flickered a bit, and then just faded away. The two lines at top and bottom remained. Stopped at a light I noticed the "pulsed" a little bit. When I got to work I powered off the car, and then turned it back on. I still had the two lines, but nothing else. Tried it again at lunch thinking maybe as the car thawed on the drive in something got wet, and shorted something out. The display is now totally blank.
Before I take this to the dealer my question is, is this something simple to fix?
I looked in the manual, but saw no mention of fuses for it.
Anyone ever heard of this before?
Any advice would be appreciated. I really love this car. The biggest downside is the nearest dealer is 50 minutes away.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
If it was just a flickering display, my total guess would be low battery/alternator. "due to snow" suggests cold temps. Parked last 2 weeks + glow plugs + starting = battery drain. However, 30 minutes should be enough to charge up the battery. Open the fuse box under the hood and look for burnt connections/fuses. Test the battery with a multimeter with the car off and the car running.

The fact that it's totally blank suggest a bad connection somwhere. If you lift the floormats is the floor soaked and wet? Just a guess.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Floor is not wet, I did check that. Am at work, so will check under the hood when I get home. I did start it up and run it a couple of times during the snow just to let it warm up and melt clear off the snow accumulation. A co-worker has suggested a mouse nest and someone chewing on some wires. which is also a possibilty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At this point I still don't know what it is.
We tried all the suggestions in the first post, the floorboards & mats are not wet, there are no blown circuits, and no loose connections that we can see/get to. At this point the car has an appointment with the dealership on Monday. I find I miss that display a lot more than I would have thought I would!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts