VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously Metalnerd has a bit for all applications. I noticed that their website does not have a section for the newer CBEA and CJAA Engines. But I may have missed it. I have a 2010 Jetta Sedan TDI, and I am wanting to come up with a list of bits and sockets that would be most needed for working on a newer car. I would assume that bits for fluid changes and brakes would be some of the first maintenance issues with a new car. I would like to start ordering two or three bits, sockets, drivers a month. What do members here use the most in these tools for general service? I read somewhere that an 1"1/4 socket will work for the oil-filter housing. I have that! More concerned with the triple square bits that might be needed at first. Than more specialty tools for bigger jobs later on, ofcourse after buying VCDS.

Is there a cheaper alternative to Metalnerd? The bits and tools in their pictures look to be quality made, but I would not know, as I have not held or used one yet! I would like to put these in a additional tool kit from my other tools.

Carl

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I own a 10mm triple square for the axle bolts and a cheap set of triple square drivers that work with a 13mm socket. You'll also want some quality torx bits. My other tools are craftsman - they have a lifetime warranty and while I have broken some, I just go and get a new exchange. One tool that is very handy is their remote operated spring clamp pliers. What kind of service were you looking to do?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I own a 10mm triple square for the axle bolts and a cheap set of triple square drivers that work with a 13mm socket. You'll also want some quality torx bits. My other tools are craftsman - they have a lifetime warranty and while I have broken some, I just go and get a new exchange. One tool that is very handy is their remote operated spring clamp pliers. What kind of service were you looking to do?
Well I only have 7850 miles on the jetta sedan TDI so far, and I will let the dealer do the services for the first 36000, but after that I will handle most repairs and maintenace myself. just looking at the different triple squares and other tools I will need at first that would be used most often. I see there is allot of special tools needed for larger repairs, CV joints, Shocks, Timing Belt, Fuel lines, injectors,
fly wheel bolts, etc. but those tools can come as needed. just looking for the bits that might be used the most for a varity of small repairs and sevice related items. I drive the interstate 5-6 days a week with an average of 150 miles a day, so it does not take long for me to rackup the miles. Thought I would start buying tool that are needed to work on these cars before I actualy need them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts