VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Searching for some feedback from anyone that used the Metalnerd crankshaft universal tool. I received this tool when I ordered the Metalnerd tools through IDparts along with the timing belt kit. Was your timing belt installation and valve timing successful with this tool? It appears the original tool would more accurately lock the crankshaft in the proper position and the universal tool would allow a little more slop. I'm concerned this universal tool may not produce a good job.

Any feedback would be appreciated. If you recommend that I use the original tool, I'll spend the extra money and purchase one. If you believe the universal tool can be just as accurate and effective, I'll give it a try.

Update: The Metalnerd crankshaft universal tool worked just fine and helped achieve very accurate timing using the crankshaft pin.

bigochief

·
Registered
68 Posts
I got to use the prototype of this tool before it was issued to the public. it is a good tool and locks the crank just fine with its countersunk bolt heads to hold it onto the crank pulley.

the countersinks perfectly center the bolts in the holes in the tool, and the pin that locks into the seal carrier is just as finely sized as the factory tools.

what is nice about this tool is that so long as you know that the marking for TDC pointer is in the proper orientation and the tool is bolted to the correct holes on the crank pulley, you will get just as good of a lock on the crank as the factory tool, if not a better lock.

I have found that the factory tool has enough slop in it even when slid onto the pulley like its supposed to be it can allow the crank to rotate some and lift the edges of the tool off of the crank pulley teeth. this new tool since it bolts onto the crank pulley with centered bolt holes and locks in with just as accurate of a pin, does not allow the crank pulley to rotate in any direction once its fully seated.

its a good value if you find yourself needing to do both styles of PD engines. and its good to know that you cannot get the wrong one.. since it will work for both types.

I already have both styles of PD crank lock from before this one came out, but if I was buying my tools brand new I wouldn't hesitate to get this one and save myself $40 and not have to buy both factory tools. even tho the factory tools are easier to put on and remove, for the average backyard mech who is doing this job once and probably not again, the universal tool is a great option and can be more accurate than the factory one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for providing this info on the universal crankshaft tool. I was concerned about which one was more accurate.

bigochief

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Hi. I have a BEW PD engine. I am going to replace the camshaft and do the timing belt change etc on it this weekend. I have the Metalnerd tool kit for the ALH engine (borrowed from a friend at work). I think everything will work except the tool to hold the C/S pulley. Does this sound right? Thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts