VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
I'm a new member with a 2004 Golf Tdi PD engine code BEW. During a routine oil change I discovered a large amount of metal on my drain plug magnet. This led me down the path of finding my worn camshaft. I'm mostly done installing my new colt cam and have questions about replacing other parts. The Bentley manual recommends replacing the oil cooler, oil spray jets, and the oil non-return (check) valve. (In the beginning of the lubrication section)

My question is, is this necessary? I found no mention of this anywhere online. These parts are expensive and it doesn't make sense to me that they would be plugged up with metal.

Thoughts or direction?

Thanks for all the amazing write ups and information.
-Jimmy

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
Since you waited until your cam was extremely worn, I would be inclined to say yes or at the very least take those items apart and inspect for clogging/wear damage. I would also inspect the oil pump since oil goes through the pump before it goes through the filter. If the pump shows signs of wear damage, I would inspect the main and rod bearings and journals.

Yes, it is very possible that metal debris in the oil could cause clogging and damage. The problem with online consensuses is that sometimes people that have no clue about what they are talking about will just make stuff up. Why don't you believe VW's official maintenance/repair manual?

I avoided your dilemma by replacing my cam at the first signs of wear when I did my first timing belt.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Okay, so while we are on the subject, does anyone know where exactly the oil check valve is located on a 2004 BEW? I had a mechanic tell me it's either hidden from view on the block somewhere or in the head on the surface that mates to the block?
You have to remove oil filter housing to see the oil check valve. Valve will be on the housing it is spring loaded.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts