VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, readers digest version;
My '03 jetta tdi engine bracket broke at the a/c comp. idler pulley. I am in process to put on a new (used) bracket and keep running into other issues.
1) may as well do a timing belt kit while I'm in there,
2) easier to remove egr to access the one valve cover bolt
3) now I can clearly see that the egr/intake are almost clogged so I will be removing and cleaning those,
4)now, the real issue...There is an excessive amount of oil that appears to be being drawn into the turbo and then expelled to the intercooler (which is/was an oily dirty nightmare), then proceeds to the egr/intake (which I am sure is why they are sooo dirty).

WHAT WOULD CAUSE THAT AMOUNT OF OIL TO BE DRAWN INTO THE TURBO???

TIA

Scott

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Depends how much you're talking about, they all have a bit of oil in the boost pipes, intake and intercooler, it's normal as a little bit gets past the turbo seals, there's also the possibility of some coming from the crankcase breather. What happens is the oil mixes with exhaust gases from the egr which is what you clean out, they're all like this at some stage and they all need a clean out.:)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Diesels have a high amount of piston blowby during combustion and this pressure is relieved out a vent. In gas cars it's a PCV, on your car it's a much simpler valve, the CCV which is routed back to the intake to be burned for emissions reasons. Oil mist travels with this flow and settles in the low spots like the intercooler and turbo.

A little handful of oil in the intercooler is normal. A big jug worth is not and would mean the turbo needs replacement ASAP. Too much oil can lead to a runaway engine, see the FAQ for more on this.

Funny, someone just did a writeup on how to remove that bracket: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/ac-compressor-steering-pump.htm, if you have anything to add to the article, feel free to chime in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts