VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

the injectors in my TDI 99 Jetta are worn. I want to remove them to have them sent in for cleaning and to get new nozzles. Anyone willing to walk me through this, this weekend or the next. Can be over the phone or in person I am in the Maryland area. I read the walk thru but I would be more comfortable having an experienced hand guide me through.. Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nozzles are cheap. Check out boraparts.com or TDIparts.com. Both are outstanding vendors and usually have good deals.

I'm about to upgrade some nozzles in my 03 Golf. The write-up on this forum is great, looks detailed enough for my unskilled hands.

Is your Jetta an ALH?

·
Registered
482 Posts
The only tricky part is pulling the injectors. Everything else is easy. If they're stuck just keep at them. A slide hammer helps a lot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Slide Hammer? I saw a Youtube video with some dude smacking at them for 20 seconds.. Do you need that special wrench described in the walk through?

Where do you get a slide hammer and how do you use it to remove them?

Yes it is an ALH?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
You don't need a slide hammer but it helps. It threads onto the top of the injector. You then bang the tool which pulls the injector out. I just put some lube around the edges and wiggle them back and forth to loosen them until they come out.
http://www.metalnerd.com/cat10.htm

You can buy one from the above link which is also in the installation article: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/multi/nozzleinstall.htm

The link also has a TDI fuel line flare nut wrench. It helps avoid stripping but you don't need one if you're careful. I just saw the below video and he leaves out the good stuff but it may help explain what's happening.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubHm1Vm5pz0

·
Registered
482 Posts
Yes, you can do it without a slide hammer. If your engine looks anything like the ones shown they all use the same procedure.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ok I got started being Thanksgiving Holiday and all.

I loosened up the metal fuel lines (what a bitch) banged my hands a few times.

Tried to remove the Glowplug harness but for the life of me I couldnt find a connector to the left to unplug it. I got it off the glow plugs bit how to you remove it? I see a cable to the right that does not seem to have an obvious connector and goes to the base with a bunch of other wiring pairs inside conduit. Is there a place I am overlooking?

I have it shaded in red.

I also noticed the braided return lines are brittle and some of them fell apart while removing them so I will have to get new ones. (any suggestions?)

I also removed the injector holder pieces and am now at the injectors. I put some WD-40 and tried to wiggle them out as suggested but that doesn't work. I read about a slide hammer but I don't see them for sale Ill drive over to Harbor Freight and see if they have something. Any suggestions on how to get them out?

Also Injector 3 (The one with the connector?) Do you remove the injector with the connector attached? How do you unattach it without breaking the connectors.

Thanks for your help in advance. Hopefully I can get the injectors removed.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The dealer should have fuel line. Don't hammer should pop them right out or you could put a 15mm wrench on it and wiggle them back and forth to break the seal.

to get #3 connector off youpinch the spring clip and then pull it off.

IMHO, try to work around the GP harness because bending it too much isn't good for it. Once all the metal fuel lines are loosened and out of the way just flop the GP harness over to the right.

THe GP connector on #1 looks like it broke off too. It should come off cleanly, I see some stuff still around the GP even though the harness is off. Looks like you may need a new harness.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just pulled gently on the Glowplug harness and it popped out. Did I break it. Is is not supposed to come out like that?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I removed the metal lines put some Liquid Wrench around the injectors I'll check a Harbor Freight and see if they have a slide hammer. I put a 15mm wrench around the injector and wiggled it it seems to be getting easier bit still locked in I hope the Liquid Wrench loosens things up. The glow plug connecter did the same after the 4th connector the lomgated piece remains attached and the top of the harness comes out with the probe. If I do have to replace it how do I remove it as the harness cord seems to go into a plastic bundle.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Let the liquid wrench do its thing while you wiggle it back and forth. Don't pry it and don't pull on the nipples :)

Cut and splice in a new harness. Go to any radio shack and they sell crimps. Wrap it in heat shrink or use liquid electrical tape to insulate. Since you have a 99 there should only be 2 wires, note the colors. Cut the wires as close to the harness so that the wires left on the engine harness are as long as possible.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
still no luck I ordered a slide hammer from Metal Nerd they said I should get it monday also ordered a new Glow Plug harness and while everything is out test the glow plugs and clean up around the injectors.

I also noticed the return lines were brittle so I ordered a meter to replace them.

When I put the metal fuel lines back on how should I do them? Tighten them on the pump then the injector or put them on the injectors tighten them down then tightem them on the rotary pump?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I would tighten them halfway on both sides, then once they're in place, tighten them all the way. This way they don't get twisted. The slide hammer will make it much easier.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got my SlideHammer from MetalNerd. Hooked it up and they came out after 5 easy whacks.. Slide Hammer is the way to go. Look at the teeth marks I made in injector 1 even with a rag wrapped around it to remove it.

Here they are as Snug as a Bug. What do you all think? Pretty dirty Ehy?

I also wanted to do a resistance check on my Glowplugs after reading one of the write ups and they all measured 000 I used the Omega Sign and set it to its lowerst value.. Does this sound right? Any suggestions?

I also looked at the Glow Plug harness wires I did not see 2 colors I just saw a Upper and Lower wire. So I guess you just cut them and solder or crimp them top to bottom?

Thanks for your help guys Ill hit you up when the put the Injectors with nozzles back in..

GET A SLIDE HAMMER IF YOU ARE DOING THIS!

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Yep. The mk3 and early mk4 TDI only have 2 wires. The later mk4 TDI have a separate circuit for each glow plug. Just cut them as close to the glow plug part as possible to leave plenty of wire and then solder/crimp them.

:thumbsup slide hammer. Sometimes they are just stuck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I put the injectors back in I just push them down tight and put the bolts back on that holds them in..?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Yes. Make sure the convex washers are facing the right way and don't overtighten the bolts or else the fork fingers can snap. Make sure the fork is on straight, I suspect that if they're twisted it makes them more likely to snap. Make sure the copper washer is seated flat too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Injectors holes were very dirty I put some PBblaster around the edges to clean it out how long should I let it work before I clean it and install the injectors. I read your warning about Hydralock in the write up.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
It would take a small puddle to hydrolock the engine. I dont' know how much since some might burn up depending on what the liquid is and how it burns. You could take a q-tip and wipe it down or a wadded shop rag. As long as you don't drop something in and the puddle is mostly evaporated, any tiny bits of carbon that fall in or a drop of liquid will burn up once the engine starts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts