VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Perry and I joined this website because my mother's car is exhibiting this warning at 77K miles. She's not car savvy; I am.

I urged her to buy this car after my wonderful experience with a 2002 Golf TDI (which developed issues after a first accident and which was crashed AGAIN and not worth repairing because at the time, I could not afford proper insurance for such a young car... but that's college).

Anyway, it seems I'm in need of TDI help again, and while the local dealer is actually a good one (MAG of Columbus, Ohio), I'd like to be more informed when I see them now and in the future. I'd also like to not be charged $800,000,000 for a problem which shouldn't exist.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I haven't posted in a while. My mom's MEL light went on with the Emissions Workshop mssg in the trip computer yesterday. She's about to take the car in for an oil change this weekend. It has 77K miles on it.

My question is this. I know there's a glow plug recall AND also that the car's run beautifully since we've purchased it. Economy could be better, but it's within the expected boundaries of what the car should be getting.

Could it be something OTHER than the glow plugs (which is hard to tell since it's not cold and the car runs well)?

FINALLY: what else has been recalled on these cars?

Thanks very much,
Perry

PS. Your info is extra helpful as my mom, while a good customer, knows nothing of cars.

PPS. I forgot to mention, she has a 2005 Passat TDI

PPPS. We've been told the car has an oil leak, but the dipstick always shows the proper level of oil. ALWAYS. Even if the car's been running or if it's been sitting.

·
Super Moderator
9,403 Posts
My mom's MEL light went on with the Emissions Workshop mssg
MEL thats a new one on me its either Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) you Americans call it the CEL light I forget what that abbrievates too, Central Electronics Light or something.

Well without doing a VCDS scan you don't know what else has been picked up.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
2nd, you can't know what's in there until it's scanned.

FYI have you seen the FAQ article for the balance shaft swap? It's worth doing if you want to keep the car for many more years. There has been sunroof and air filter seal recalls but you have to check the VIN number to know if the dealer will cover it.

The oil leak is usually the crank case vent hose, see this article for details: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/b5/air-filter-engine-tdi.htm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts