VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I bought this TDI with 200,000 miles on it. Timing belt was done just before I bought it. I had it in for some service and the mechanic stated to me that the injection pump is a bit noisy compared to other TDI's, that it doesn't mean its going to go tomorrow but that I may want to pick up a used pump in the near future. I'm about to drive through 4 states and back. Should I be worried? I figured I'd add some Redline Diesel Fuel Catalyst to the fuel to help keep the pump well lubricated. Any thoughts? :panic:

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it for the near future. Could be some belt related noise. The parts that get worn in the pump are normally the cam, plunger, QA, timing piston, and low pressure pump. Lube will definitely help but it will probably drive fine for another 100,000 miles. This is not the sort of thing you want to do preemptive maintenance on unless it's known to be bad. Especially if there are no drivability issues other than some noise.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Auto pumps can be a little noiser - more aggressive cam and larger piston. Unless someone ran gasoline through a pump, the diesel should keep it well lubricated for a long time. Diesel lube does help as well.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
If it's to the point where you are looking to buy a used pump that might have an issue, just drive it into the ground for now or remove it now and rebuild.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts