VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew it was coming soon..hopefully it'll show up in the showrooms soon too and won't just be a concept.

An old article but I saw it in road and track so it's new to me. It's expensive but I think someone buying an s400 can afford it.

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/11/14/la-2007-mercedes-shows-off-s400-bluetec-diesel-hybrid-concept/

"The Mercedes S400 Bluetec diesel hybrid concept making its North American debut at the LA Auto Show this week isn't the company's first hybrid idea, but it is one of the best-looking, and the combination of diesel and electric power gets this luxury machine up to 40 mpg. Considering the size and power of the S400, that's a great number. Tell me again why automakers are so afraid of the 35 mpg CAFE standards when cars like this are (at least in concept form) possible.

Mercedes promises the V6 BLUETEC diesel engine under the S400's hood can deliver "the performance of a V8 with the fuel economy of a four-cylinder." If you're intrigued by the look and the performance of this car, hang on to your cash, as it won't be available until "after 2010." More after the jump.
"

D

·
0 Posts
Since we are talking concept cars, Peugoet had a diesel hybrid in 2006, 69 mpg. It was a 307, but of course, just a concept.

It would be nice if MB had this car since it would bring a lot more attention to diesels.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Here's the Road and track article. Comparing it to the Lexus LS600h which gets 20 mpg, this is 100% literally, better mileage.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=12&article_id=6314

Large, luxurious sedans — a vehicle type synonymous with Mercedes-Benz — have not been historically the most fuel-efficient of vehicles. But that will soon change with the new S400 Bluetec Hybrid.

Expected to arrive in U.S. showrooms in 2010, the S400 mates a Bluetec V-6 diesel with a 20-horsepower electric motor that Mercedes says offers "the performance of a V-8 with the fuel economy of a 4-cylinder." The hybrid system puts out 265 bhp and a full 465 lb.-ft. of torque, helping the Teutonic heavyweight earn an impressive 0–60-mph time of only 7.2 seconds while posting 40.5 mpg on the highway. Mercedes promises that the S400's diesel-hybrid drivetrain will be 50-state compliant upon its rollout in a couple years' time.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Wow! If I could afford that, that would make me very happy :) :)

Good mileage, just enough power, luxury, what more could you want!

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
50 state complaint? That's what they said about the first bluetec and it's not for sale in all 50 states.

It would be very cool though, if there's anyone who can afford to make a diesel hybrid, it's Mercedes Benz.

J

·
0 Posts
:p:p

If I could afford one, then I will let you all know how it is...from up here :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts