VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to buy an 2009 or 2010 jetta tdi. I sold my race car a 92 Talon so the wife said we need a family car. So Jettas are safe and tdi have great mileage. Now i know these cars are capable of buttloads or torq which could rocket me into the 13's easy with some mods and i heard it doesnt kill your gas mileage. I want to run down mustangs and camaros with the jetta. And i need I need 3-400 ft lbs of torq to do it. Can i achieve this with a stock turbo? Please give me a company that sells quality products that are dyno proven! Not some cheap ebay crap that adds 5hp.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Nobody has done this yet with the new 09 or 10. Tunes are just coming out now but they are getting close to 300 torque.

If you want more you need to get a 05.5-06, check out kermatdi.com, they have turbos and injectors. You'll also need an intercooler and clutch kit but that will get you to about that range of torque. I don't think you can do this with stock turbo and expect it to last.

Or just get a Toureg V10 TDI - massive torque straight out of the box.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow

These companies are slow for coming out with mods huh? I would buy an 05-06 but its hard to find one without a million miles on it. They still use the DSG trans on those years? Are the intercoolers on these tdi's sidemounts, if so they prob heat soak very quick in the summer time. And please tell me the turbos on the tdi are not the k04? I had a 14 sec 1.8t before and an 11 sec talon so i know alot about mods, but nothing about diesels, so strange to me. Never realized how much important tq was!

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
There are more mods available for the 05-06 but the 09 has more potential. Part of the lag in development is the completely new emissions system. Unlike a gas catalytic converter which is a flow through honeycomb-like tube, the diesel particulate filter DPF, is really a filter. Half of the honeycombs are blocked off on one end and the other half are blocked off on the other. Gasses are forced through the filter and soot trapped in the spaces, left to burn off when EGT is raised. Some believe that excess fueling will result in early clogging of the filter, others believe that high EGT will burn it off and keep it clean. I don't know and I don't think that anyone in the US has logged enough miles to know. Here is an example of an early tune from http://dieselinside.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gULtk0b4vRA

All 2005.5 and newer Jetta TDI w/automatic transmission were DSG. VW introduced this technology pretty early - you can even get the DSG in the 2004 Beetle TDI.

I've noticed plenty of 05-06 with only 60-70k miles on them on ebay, autotrader - for a diesel that's nothing as along as they have been properly maintained. look through the 05.5-06 buying checklist for some common issues and FAQ: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a5/earlyjetta_buyersguide.htm You can find the buying FAQ for the 09-10 from the home page as well.

TDIs on 05.5 and newer Jettas are FMIC. Unlike a gasser where you are in and out of boost, diesels are almost always in low boost and the turbo is small to match the engine and boost levels. Remember that redline is lower than a gasser and that a huge turbo won't have the chance to spool up. Here is a list of stock turbos and upgraded turbos:
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/tditurbo.htm Stock turbo is a Borg Warner BV39.

Look through the FAQ for more details and differences on diesel tuning.

·
Registered
482 Posts
IMHO, if you want to mod, get a 05-06. If you want a warranty, get a 09-10. You can always pick up a 09 used in a few years out of warranty and mod that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my old talon

Here is a video of my best run. I sold the car because it was nothing but a headache. Anyone who tells you there 11sec car is reliable is flat out lying unless its all motor maybe. Prob not even then. On top of that i didnt want to cage it which would have slowed me down another 2/10s of a second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QCo85sr8tQ

So i think i will hunt down an 09 with under 40k on it or an 06 with under 75k on it. Thats the plan. Now this 1300 tax credit, does that mean i get 1300 more back on my taxes? How does that work buying a new tdi?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Very impressive! I used to have one of the first 1990 eclipse GSXs around. It was purchased the day it came off the truck. It was totally stock and a reliable daily driver until the timing belt broke a few days before the weekend when I was going to change it. The shifter was always notchy. I put about 25-30,000 miles a year on that car until it had 199,996 miles on it and then sold it. If I knew about TDIs back then I would have bought one of these because of the economy. Back then diesel was about 99 cents and normally cheaper than regular gas too so it was a no brainer. Now diesel is the about same price as premium and higher during the winter.

Read the tax credit article linked through the buying FAQ and through 1000q: 1000 answered questions and TDI FAQ. There are a lot of conditions and examples - of of the conditions is that it has to be a new car only.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts