VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 99 NB 5 sp with 190k.
Last summer the car just quit and wouldn't start. I did all the due dilligence regarding fuel/ air etc. and determined it was the IP and got a rebuilt from "North Carolina". <= all history now...
Anyway, I could never get it to run like it did before, with the performance gradually declining. VAGCOM didn't see a problem at first, then the start of injection timing went way off, even though the mechanical timing was on the mark.... Right after that the car quit again and I can't get it started. I've looked at several parts sights for a new IP, but some indicate that ther are specific pumps for manual vs auto, or that you hane to replace the old IP with the same Bosch/VW part number. . Can anyone confirm that? I'm not sure the rebuilt is the same as the original.
Question is does it make a difference - electronically?

I really need some advice.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Rebuilt from an official Bosch shop should be as good as new.

Manual is 10mm head, auto is 11mm head.

You can usually mix-match Bosch pumps just like you can mix-match 10-11mm pumps. However, I've heard stories where pumps just never ran right until they matched the pumps due to some unknown incompatibility. Rare but it happens for unknown reasons.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts