VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has a massive shake after turning off the car- followed by a metallic clanking/shutter. Maybe the TB tensioner is too tight, not even, or too loose? Its like the cam spins just a hair after the engine is turned off. Getting more and more violent each drive.
Car runs fine otherwise. no other symptoms to speak of. Can this be anything else?
Maybe the timing is slightly retarded?
Just finished TB job

2006 BRM 79,900 K

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Maybe the anti shudder valve in the inlet for the air intake isn't working properly, it should be completely closed when the engine is off. If you take off the turbo pipe to the intake manifold and have a look in there you should see the valve/flap, check it's moving properly and closing fully when you switch off the engine.:) welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ok, further investigation revealed that my tensioner was incorrect and allowing the slack to slam the cam a tiny bit after the crank stopped. BARF* But no damage! I took the tb cover off and loosened the three 13mm cam sprocket bolts, and the tensioner nut and reset the tensioner.

Works great now.. But isn't the tensioner pointer supposed to wobble or move while the belt is going round and round? Also when I let the tension off the belt.. its creeks and doesn't seem to be.. flexible. I can't get a torque wrench on it so I have been guessing at the tightness. Still.. When loosened hardly anything belt wise moves. I know its slight but.. its seems locked up! Its fixed for the moment. I don't know what else to do with it.

Oh.. Maybe this helps: When I tightened the 15mm center nut.. the pointer use to move a bit. Now it does not move. The pointer stays where the allen key set it at. And after the engine runs.. it gets tighter on its own! It was so tight that the pointer was all the way over to the right! what the heck?! Something is wrong here. Maybe I should pull it and investigate it further.

The Aliment tab is in its slot. That was the first thing I checked.

Any Ideas? Ill check the valve thing.. But I bet its the Tensioner/my own fault. I could put the old one back on and see. Use it until I can order a new one... but that's putting the cart before the horse.

I'll keep working at it until the wee hours. Burn some midnight oil. Fuel oil that is!:D

PS
Seatman: The valve is NOT closed when the engine is off. When I switch it off it makes a noise and opens and closes etc.. then stays open. Its always done that... I think.. is it supposed to stay closed!!!? How do I fix it? I don't have a VCDS.

Its not the root cause of the slamming violent engine stop. It was the tb tensioner. I just want to make sure the tensioner is functioning correctly. Should I also be concerned with the Valve too?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The anti shudder valve isn't exactly the same on your engine. It is an electronic valve vs. the more common older vac valve.

You can't tension the belt that way. You have to have the engine at TDC to tighten the tensioner otherwise timing and tension could be off. The crank sprocket is slightly oval and the action of the valves and what not can jerk the belt very slightly.

I don't remember off the top of my head but I don't think the tensioner pointer bounces around with the engine running. There is a spring inside, if it has broken or the tab on the back is cracked it's possible for the tensioner to fail.

Did you tighten it clockwise? If you loosen it to reset it, the best way to move it is to loosen it as far as it will go, then tighten it to the pointer.

As the engine warms up it will also get a little bit tighter. Tension is set on a cold engine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks chitty!

When I reset the belt: I did not have the engine at TDC. No wonder I had a hell of a time getting it right. Tomorrow morning I'll lock the engine off at TDC and do it correctly. Also the belt was not evenly tightened. doh! It is working great now though, but I'll do it correctly. And while I'm at it.. time to open up the valve cover now that I have some sealant. I hope I don't pass out from the completely ground up cam ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts