VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I are try to remove manuel trans from engine. right axle flange seems to be hung up on flywheel. Do you have to remove flange on transmission?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I don't know what the transporter is like but look through this:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a3b4/transremoval.htm

If it's similar, remove the flange if it's hitting the flywheel. You should also remove the trans mount bracket. The service manual says to use a jack to move the engine forward a little and then twist the transmission out. I found that I had to move the engine forward and to the side, and then twist the transmission out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1997 Golf diesel

Ok, I removed the flange and the transmission came out fine. Now the reason I am removing the transmission. The clutch pedal was very hard to depress but before removing the transmission I removed the clutch cable and checked it first and made sure it was not causing the problem. I lubed the cable and reinstalled it but the pedal pressure was still to hard. The clutch also grabbed at the very top so I thought the disc was probably worn.
After removing the transmission and removing the clutch I found the disc was worn but also the plate that pushes on the pressure plate showed signs of wearing off-center from the push rod. I am not sure if this is important but I thought I would mention it.
I am planning on replacing the disc and pressure plate. Is there anything else I should be looking at with this hard plate and high grabbing problem?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Sounds like that should fix it. Also check the lever pivot points since that could contribute to a high pedal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My son and I finally got around to putting the transmission back into the car today with the new clutch disc and pressure plate. It was easy to reinstall the transmission with the right axle flange off, then install the flange after the transmission was installed. The clutch works as new. Thanks to all the people who sent posts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts