VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a 2004 Jetta TDI for $300. It runs but has tranny issues. I was able to drive it home a few miles by starting it in gear. When I got home the trans locked up...in neutral the car will roll about a foot and then locked up. Upon inspection I found a hole in the differential case, so I'm assuming I have a broken diff. This will be a winter-beater car and I'm going for least expensive fixes. The car has the 02J EUH transmission. I have found a LKQ junkyard with a 2002 Jetta TDI trans of unknown condition (have yet to find out what code it is) that costs about $150. From my research it sounds like the ALH TDI trans are the same as the BEW TDI trans, with just a shorter 5th gear. I contacted Frans at Dutch Auto Parts and he doesn't have any used EUH transmissions. He does have a used EBJ trans for $590. And I think getting a LSD is way too expensive for this turd.

Questions:
1. Is my entire trans bad inside if the diff blowed up?
2. Should I get the junkyard trans and put the diff and 5th gear from my EUH into it?
3. Is there a way to bench-test a trans??

·
Registered
4 Posts
question 1 - Iwould say if there’s a hole and Trans and it locks up its junk. Save 5th gear if you want but it’s .744
question 2 - the ALH trans will fit no problem, 5th is .769 and is so slight you wouldn’t notice any difference. Linkage is a little different so you have to swap from your old trans ( cable hookups for shifter) $150 is a good price for any TDI trans only trans I noticed a difference was from a BRM because the rear crank trigger the flywheel assembly sits further out and trans has a deeper bell housing.
question 3 - can’t tell much for bench test other than it goes in all gears. Check fluid and you can pull off side cover to inspect 5th gear for gear failure for splines wearing. Reverse gear pop out is another worry you won’t be able to check until after its installed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts